I'm worried about Rosie.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:40 pm

Rosie got a subcue, some Lactulose, some Simethicone, and some attention. He is now purring and rumbling around his cage. Damnit, this pig is gonna kill me.

minismama

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:03 pm

And once Rosie has fully recovered, he is going to fully expect to continue receiving the increased level of attention that he did when he was sick.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:14 pm

Well, about three hours after the Lactulose and the Simethicone, his Bloat (saddlebag-feeling things of gas on the sides of his stomach) has disappeared. We fed him again and put his pellets and hay back in his cage. He was most pleased. We also gave him more Simethicone - The infant dose is listed as .3 mls, so we gave him .150 mls first and I just gave him another .2 mls (it's been a few hours and I don't want him gassy after eating 25 cc's of CC just now).

As I type this he is in his cage, purring like a little motor, as he struggles valiantly with a very large blade of hay.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:26 am

Update - Rosie seems to be doing wonderfully. He is eating, drinking, and pooping large unformed globs of firmer poop.

I am really surprised. I thought Bloat was a condition, like something that took a long time to resolve. Rosie's gas cleared up in a matter of hours. Was that not Bloat, then?

I was thinking about it, and came up with this: He's been fed on Critical Care/Pellet Mash for days on end, and yesterday actually ate 1/3 cup (A HUGE amount) of Proform Pellets. I am wondering if the sudden influx of "solid" food caused him to blow up like a balloon. Is that right? Should I continue to give him the Simethicone, even if I don't see any visible Bloat signs? How about the Lactulose?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:47 am

One would think the simethicone can't hurt. I don't know enough about the lactulose to make a guess. A radical diet change can certainly affect how things are moving through. Not sure how bloat and gas would be differentiated re: causes.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:42 am

I'm so sorry, Para, I was incredibly busy yesterday and today doesn't look any better. You can call me anytime today after 3PM but not between 9-10 pacific time. (West Wing, sorry) I will have my cell phone with me between 9am and 2pm. I think you ahve that number, if not, email me or call before 9 as Im leaving then

I think after not eating, then eating alot, pigs frequently get bloat. I think that is one concern about a pig not eating for a bit, is once they start back in that is common. I've never dealt with it, so I would have been no help anyway.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:42 am

double post.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:10 pm

I know with humans, you can use simethecone like water-- it's a prn med in the nursery for babies with gas. prn= as often as needed.

We keep some on hand in our "pig formulary", just in case.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:46 pm

We just got back from the vet. Rosie did great!

His molars had overgrown, entrapping his tongue. He's apparently had the condition for quite a while. His tongue was permanently stuck out and you can see the indentation of the teeth.

Here are Rosie's teeth during the procedure:

Before:

Almost done:

If these links don't work you can view the pictures at
http://imageevent.com/paravati/rosiesteeth103003

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:48 pm

When we got home Rosie ate 18 cc's of Critical Care mix, drank from his water bottle, and went to lay down on a Thermacare pad in his Pigloo. I swear he's grateful. I think I can see it in his eyes.

truffie
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:05 pm

Poor Rosie! Those pictures are heartbreaking. I bet he feels 100% better after getting that taken care of. Does anyone know what causes that? Hope he has a speedy recovery.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:16 pm

Wow. Those are really graphic photos, great quality, really scary. I am so glad to hear Rosie is finally feeling better.