I'm worried about Rosie.

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:25 pm

Lynx - you could add my last post to the malocclusion page too.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:45 pm

For what it's worth, I'd like to add that Einstein's first set of lower molars do the same thing. They started off really horrible (completely trapping the tongue when he was 3 weeks old) and have gradually gotten better. He has had them filed at 6 and 10 weeks, something like that, and each time they were not as bad as the previous time. At 6 weeks, for example, they were arching but not trapping quite as thoroughly, and at 10 weeks, only the left was overgrown. This improvement has coincided exactly with his eating harder foods (more hay and alfalfa, grass, "stalky" vegetables like kale and broccoli and "crunchy" ones like bell pepper, more crumbly pellets as opposed to pellet mash).

I don't know if he was born with very bad teeth, or if his initial diet (consisting mostly of Suzi's milk, with only sporadic attempts to eat anything else) let them get out of control. Probably both.

Those are wonderful photos, Para. Hmm, I wonder if the vet would let me take photos of Einstein's mouth the next time I take him in.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:15 pm

Any pictures I ever post you are welcome to use if you think it would help somebody else. These pictures still freak me out, and I was there!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:20 pm

Wow! I think vets around the country need to start reading our threads. They could certainly learn a lot more about guinea pigs.

Great pics and I'm glad to hear Rosie is doing so well. Hope he continues to do so. He's got a great mom and dad.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:32 pm

Dr Legendre was saying that every time he goes somewhere to give a seminar on guinea pig teeth, half the vets present were shocked to learn their molars grew constantly. Many think only the front teeth do.
It's a loooooong road ahead.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:33 pm

Thanks everybody who has nursed ME through Rosie's illness. He seems to be doing just great - He is eating pellets on his own, ripping into Veggie Time, and still demanding 20 cc's at a time of Critical Care mix.

We're going to measure him tonight for his Chin-Sling, and keep nursing him until I can gradually wean him off the Critical Care. I am hoping he will be eating entirely on his own in a few days.

His weight is now up to 820 grams, up from 745 when we first noticed he was very ill. I think that's a good sign that he's eating and USING the food, and not just staying alive with what he gets. I am so glad. You guys rule, couldn't have done it without you. Thanks again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:45 pm

Super pics, Para! I added a couple quick links on the teeth page to the entrapped tongue and another link to Pinta's comments. Working them into the article will/would take more time and thought.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:59 am

Rosie is doing really well. We have discontinued the subcues but are still checking him daily for signs of dehydration just in case.

He drank 120 ml of Pedialyte on his own today out of his water bottle. He's eating almost an entire baby food jar full of Critical Care mix at every feeding, 3 times a day.

I am getting a little weary of hand-feeding him so today I mixed up a bowl of Critical Care very thick and put it in his cage. I rigged the bowl so it tips at an angle and won't spill, and stuck the CC on the lip of the bowl (it's very thick, like paste) and left it in there.

He found it and DEMOLISHED it. I have since refilled his bowl of CC paste three times. I think he's eaten about three baby food jars full of the paste since 2 pm this afternoon, all by himself.

I have NEVER seen a pig eat like this before.

He is eating hay too, although the rate at which it's sucked into his mouth is slower than other pigs eat, it's definitely getting in there and going down. He's also munching on pellets and eating his Veggie Time.

He's still getting simethicone and Lactulose twice daily but he doesn't really seem to have bloat issues any more. I will probably discontinue those meds tomorrow and watch to see if the problem comes back.

I think we're going to change Rosie's name to Miracle Eater.

His weight chart through the term of his illness:

10/22 - 765g
10/23 - 745g
10/24 - 796g
10/25 - 792g
10/26 - 784g
10/27 - 798g
10/28 - 795g
10/29 - 804g
10/30 - 811g
10/31 - 815g
11/1 - 858g

Wow.

SandraVE

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:07 am

You sure have one hungry fella there, Para. It's a good thing pigs don't wear clothing, cause he'd need the next size up.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:11 pm

Ha! That's funny Sandra! That is great news, Para, I'm so happy to hear the guy can finally eat now that his teeth have been fixed!

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:38 pm

Para-
When does the vet want to see him next to make sure the teeth are not re-growing?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:41 pm

She said for me to call her a week after the teeth planing to let her know how he's doing. She also knows we're getting a chin-sling. No firm appointment was made, so I will probably plan on taking him back for a re-check in 2-3 weeks. Does that sound right?