I'm worried about Rosie.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:53 pm

Good luck, he is a little trooper.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:58 pm

Ok.. My vet, praise her lovely soul, just called to tell me that Rosie is out of surgery.

What she found is this (I wrote everything down so that I could try to post it here accurately):

He had a huge encapsulated abcess in his chin with scar tissue and cottage-cheesy like pus inside it. She did the surgery on him while he was laying on his back, and when she pushed in on the abcess, stinky pus came out from his tooth and into his mouth. She thinks it DOES relate to the lower right incisor, even though the other vet told me that it didn't.

His molars were overgrown again and she replaned them. She also fixed the front incisors which had started growing at an angle (the bottom right one was longer than the bottom left). The splinter on the bottom right incisor also came out.

She did what she called a "marsupialization" on the abcess, which she explained to me. She opened a pocket up in the abcess from the bottom of his chin and sewed the pocket open to flaps of the abcess skin. She put a tube in, that goes all the way from the bottom right incisor to the outer part of the chin, exposed to the air. So he has a 1/2 cm open hole in his chin that goes all the way up to the bottom incisor's root. She also took a culture of the pus and will send it off to the lab. It was very smelly, and was probably definitely what's made Rosie's breath so horrible lately (he smelled like rotten eggs). He also has a lot of scar tissue inside the abcess which I believe will have to be removed later. She said that we'd need to have another procedure done soon (including possibly removing the lower right incisor) but that first we needed to get the infection under control.

We are to flush the area two or three times daily with dilute Chlorhexaderm solution, put a thin layer of vaseline all around the area to keep it contained, and keep him on the Baytril. She is also going to give us some Metacam for his pain.

She said that he's still waking up now and that I can go pick him up (hopefully) in about 2 hours! Yay Rosie!!!

lisam

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:18 pm

Wow. Poor Rosie! He'll be happy to be home.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:35 pm

I'm so glad to hear surgery went well. Let's hope recovery goes as well. He's lucky to have you.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:34 pm

I just hope he feels like eating. Sounds like he was having a terrible time with that abscess.

Here's some of what Hillyer and Quesenberry in their book on small animal surgery regarding rabbit abscesses. Page 234.

"Treatment consists of aggressive debridement and curettage of the lesion as well as extraction of the tooth or teeth involved. Leave the area open following debridement and irrigate the area daily with saline or a disinfectant solution using a Water-Pic or lavage." They mention creams or sprays containing digestive enzimes (trypsin) can be applied after cleaning the lesioin. They also note one technique that involves packing the abscess with a dental preparation (calcium hydroxide) and said 10 of 14 rabbits healed well with no recurrence of the abscess. The paste is removed after a week and repeated if the area still has some pus. The calcium hydroxide reportedly creates an environment with a high ph (12) which kills bacteria but is safe for tissue. Bactrim or baytril are often prescribed. Common bacteria present are pasteurella multocida or staphylococcus aureus.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:36 pm

I'm glad he's waking up and they got out all that garbage. It sounds revolting!

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:42 pm

God, it smells terrible. Just having him in the car on the ride home, I had to ride with the windows down. I have never smelled anything so bad in my life, coming from an animal.

They showed me how to flush the wound and keep the tube clean and gave me some Meloxicam for Rosie. I'm getting ready to give it to him now.

Thanks everybody for your kind wishes.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:14 pm

Here is a shot I took of Rosie's abcess and drainage tube. He is eating Critical Care right now, although he seems pissed about having a tube in his mouth going out his chin. He keeps trying to scratch at it.

PauloF

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:22 pm

And how will you keep him from scratching or even pulling the drain off?

I do hope that eveything works right for him.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:51 pm

He is sitting right next to me wrapped up in a towel and placed on a soft cushy pillow. So when he moves to scratch, I just grab his little foot and gently tell him, no way dude.

__

Geez. The smell of his abcess is EVERYWHERE. It's horrible. I've washed my hands, changed shirts, and I can still smell it everywhere.

I just made Velveeta Shells and Cheese and I swear to Christ that it smells like Rosie's abcess. I can't even eat it now.

I never dreamed that anything could smell THIS BAD.

monique2

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:06 pm

I am SOO rooting for you guys. I have to get my update daily. You (and all the others with experience nursing sick pigs) are incredible role models and I always learn so much from reading your stories.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:45 pm

It will get better, Para. We're pulling for him.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:25 am

Thanks you guys!

I finally fell out around 8:15 pm and took a nap.

Rosie ate his whole bowl of Critical Care and some hay while I was asleep and now he's working on a bowl of shredded veggies.

When he's done eating we are going to Flush The Hated Smelly Abcess. I'm gonna teach Xan to do it so maybe I won't have to (heh, heh, heh).

Seriously, though, he seems to be doing a lot better after the anesthesia has completely worn off and all. Thanks to everybody following Rosie's journey.

In the words of the vet tech, J., who showed me how to flush his abcess today: "He's an INCREDIBLE pig. What heart!! To be so old and so sick and to still keep fighting! Rosie's a trooper."

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:53 am

Good luck to the little guy.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:01 am

We took some more pictures.

Here is one of Rosie's tube, from inside his mouth, next to his bottom right incisor:

http://photos.imageevent.com/paravati/rosiesteeth103003/websize/Rosies_mouthtube.jpg

Here is a better picture of the tube from under his chin. You can see the hole we're flushing with Nolvasan and the stitches:

http://photos.imageevent.com/paravati/rosiesteeth103003/websize/Rosies_tube4.jpg

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:33 am

I kind of wish they had pulled the offending tooth, but maybe he will be ok. If he has a root abscess from the tooth, I think it will recur, but I hope not.

I'm so pulling for you and Rosie.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:47 am

Well, the vet said that first we needed to get rid of this massive infection. She wants him to stay on the Baytril for a while, and we will know the results of the culture soon. Once the infection has toned down a bit, she says there's a lot of scar tissue inside the abcess that has to be removed. And if it doesn't get much better, that the tooth will have to come out. I think it was just so bad when she went in there this time that she didn't want to further traumatize him by taking out the tooth just yet. I hate it that he'll have to go back for ANOTHER surgery, but I will just have to trust her in this case.

Rosie is fast becoming one of the most expensive pigs we've ever had here. He is eclipsed only by Tigger, the $1400 pig. What is it about the ornery little boys that makes your heart melt??

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:11 pm

Very cool pictures! I never saw a drain like that.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:33 pm

Thanks, E. I've never seen a drain, period. Hehe. So this is ALL new to me.

He's doing much better today. He gets his Meloxicam (.12 in the morning and again at night) and then nods off for a bit. He will wake up after about 20 minutes and spring around the cage, hopping from water bottle to pellet dish to CC mix to bowl of shredded veggies to bowl of specially cut up fruits to Timmy hay to Blugrass hay and back to water bottle again. (His whole cage is an experiment in Getting This Pig To Eat). He chows down until he's tired and then goes back to sleep again. Amazingly, he has gained weight and is now over 900grams.

His abcess has reduced in size. Now, the swelling is mostly to the right of the tube and follows the path of the tube down his neck. I can still feel a bit of the scar tissue in there but it's nowhere near as swollen as it was yesterday. It still stinks when we flush it, though.

ThatKat

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:36 pm

Para, I am so happy for you and Rosie. Thanks so much for posting the pictures and all the info. This really helps SO MANY other people and animals out there.

206 posts