I'm worried about Rosie.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:43 pm

ThatKat, my happiness for Rosie has been tempered a bit by your loss of Alfie. I was so hoping that we'd bring both our pigs through their recoveries together. Rosie sends his well-wishes to you.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:17 am

Just an upate - Rosie is doing really well. His weight dropped when he had his tube inserted. He was generally REALLY offended that we kept messing with his smelly abcess. He had his tube removed this past Saturday and is now hovering back up near 900 grams again.

His abcess is doing okay. He still has stitches, but the overall swelling of it has gone down dramatically in size since the tube came out, and has not returned. There is still some swelling (mostly internal scar tissue, says the vet) but most of that should be reabsorbed by the body as he continues to heal. He is still getting .4 cc's of Baytril 2 times a day, and Simethicone as needed for his Oldtimer's gas. I think I'm going to try to let him go off the Reglan if he can handle it as he seems to have no troubles pooping now.

He's eating Hay, pellets, veggies, and has resumed wheeking at us! What a joyous surprise, to hear Rosie's little whoop-whoops when we walk by his cage again. He is climbing the cage walls in anticipation of his daily watermelon chunk, and still earns the nickname Perma-Purr because he will beg to be petted in his cage and purr at you the entire time, without even stopping to breathe. Silly boy.

Thanks everybody for helping out with Rosie! Keep your fingers crossed that this poor Murphy's Law little guy can avoid the odds and stay healthy for the remaining tiime he's got. Rosie says Happy Holidays to everyone!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:41 pm

Great news about super-pig. He and Tigger are real fighters.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:56 pm

Great news.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:44 pm

Yippee! Great news, Para!

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:50 pm

Rosie's a real trooper...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:00 pm

You'll have to post another pic when Rosie's all healed up (and the drains are gone). Is the plan to remove the tooth?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:33 pm

I'm not sure now WHAT the plan is. The plan WAS to get the infection under control so he didn't die. Now, I imagine, he will go back this weekend to have his stitches out, and we will get to find out what the Plan 2, Subsection 1b, is.

His incisor looks like it's dying. It reminds me of a child who has knocked a tooth into something, and the tooth turns blacky-pink looking and waits to fall out. I think it will need to be removed, but I don't know for sure. We'll find out this weekend.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:55 am

Rosie went back to the vet this morning to get his stitches out. His weight today is 917 grams, which is heavier than he's ever been since he came to live with us (in June). His abcess is healing nicely. The vet removed the stitches from under his chin with me holding him this morning and said that the abcess looks great. The scar tissue inside of it is being absorbed by his body at an amazing rate. It's mostly gone now, but there is still an open hole that will now close since the stitches are gone.

She said the tooth looks injured but better off than she thought it would. The bottom of the tooth near the root is fine - it's just the tip that looks damaged. So for now we are going to leave the tooth alone.

Rosie is to continue the Baytril for another 30 days. The bacteria found in his abcess was a Streptococcus variant.

melcvt00

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:11 pm

That's a lot of poop soup....

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:21 pm

Check in with updates periodically. We may not all post but we'd love to know how Rosie is doing.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:39 pm

Actually, Baytril seems to affect Rosie hardly at all. His appetite is good, his poops are fine, and we're not giving him any probiotics or handfeeding much at all anymore. We give him a new bowl of Critical Care mix every day in his cage for him to eat as he likes, and the rest of his food intake is all done on his own. He has a cagemate (a young pig born at the end of October) and between the two of them, every day, the Critical Care bowl (about three tablespoons of CC mixed with water) and his Pellet crock (just one of those small 3" porcelain crocks) is empty every morning. SOMEONE is eating it all. The baby boar in there must love the CC - He is gaining a rapid 80-100 grams A WEEK. Checkers is the bomb. Hehe.