Spay... and then some.

newwave_polly

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:49 pm

Well, I just picked up my sow from her spay. The vet said that it turned into a long surgery (about an hour) because when he opened her up, he found a large tumor that was attaching to her kidney I think he said. He removed it all, but had to put staples inside her to stop the bleeding. I'm glad the tumor is out though, especially since there were no previous indications she had one.

What I'm asking is, does anyone have some good post-op advice for healing and comfort? She's still fairly well sedated, on pain meds, and Baytril, and sitting in our small cage, under a towel. I've just put a warm heating bag beside the towel.

I suppose I'm posting this a bit prematurely, since of course there haven't been any problems yet... and I hope there are none to come. I just wanted to make sure she'll be okay. I'm a bit worried about her, because the surgery ended up being such a big deal.

thanks...

lisam

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:52 pm

Here, read this https://www.guinealynx.info/surgery.html#care . Poor girl, that was quite an operation.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:53 pm

I'm sorry she had a tumor. It sounds like you're doing everything you can post op. Just a confined space with a hidey area and heating pad if she should need it. Pain meds, abs..... Make sure she's eating although her appetite won't be as hearty. I wouldn't hold her either unless it's just to check her incision or administer meds. That's all I can think of.

newwave_polly

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:25 pm

Thanks HollyT and lisam...

I read that info on surgery, but I'll keep it open for reference tonight, and check on her lots. I've got her cage where I can sit beside her all evening, so I'll be able to keep constant watch on her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:31 pm

It sounds like very major surgery. I hope your cavy recovers well. Did the vet give you pain medication? Meloxicam or rimidyl help greatly.

newwave_polly

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:47 pm

No, I asked him about pain meds, and he said he administered some to her that should last about 12-14 hours. He said he doesn't want to kill the pain after that time because if she doesn't feel any pain, then she may think she's ok, and start walking/running too much. He thought that if she could feel a bit of pain by tomorrow, she would be less active. That rationale seems to make sense to me, but on the other hand, I don't want her to be really sore either.

I keep thinking about when I had my wisdom teeth out this summer, and how out-of-it I felt coming out of anestetic, and how much pain I was in when the pain meds wore off... I don't want little Beatrice to feel that crappy!!

I'm really wondering when she'll be able to eat something. The vet's notes I have say that I can offer her some veggies in an hour or two, but she's looking pretty incoherent right now. Poor girl.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:51 pm

He's dead wrong about the pain meds, IMO. I don't think she will walk, run too much in a confined space. Plus, if she's in pain she may not eat stirring up a slew of other problems. Get her some pain meds. She may not need them but a few days at best. Better safe than sorry.

newwave_polly

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:39 pm

She's eating parsley! :D

...off to get her some more!

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:13 am

Polly- I really disagree with your vet. If you keep her in a small confined cage, it shouldn't be an issue.

Dixie was not given pain meds after his neuter, even though I asked for them several times. He received the one shot, similar to your sow. When I brought him home, I knew he was in pain. I realy think Beatrice needs them.

If you have nothing else right now, at least give her a little children's ibuprofen. It will help, but I agree that she definitely needs something stronger.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:18 am

Even though Suzi was fairly well confined, she was in too much pain to eat and ibuprofen barely helped. I would have to take her out every 4 hours for ibuprofen and force-feeding, and she struggled so much she tore her abdominal wall even more and gave herself a hernia.

If your pig is in pain, she won't eat. Then you'll have to take her out and force-feed her, which will be much more handling than she needs and very stressful. She'll also be miserable and may cry or whimper, and if she isn't force-fed her digestive system will shut down and she'll die.

I think if your vet had major abdominal surgery and his doctor sent him home without painkillers he'd sue for malpractice.

If you look at about page 8 of Suzi's thread, people start recommending their vets for consultation. Write down all the phone numbers (I also got Para's and Cara's vets' info from the vet sticky) and request that your vet consult with them about post-operative pain management in guinea pigs. I mean, seriously, she has staples in her kidney. One dose of Rimadyl or Metacam a day is going to do wonders for her.

newwave_polly

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:30 am

ok... I'll have to call the vet for some pain killers then. How can I convince him to give them to me? Also, I'm sure I can't get any meds from the vet until tomorrow. I could probably run out and get her some children's ibuprofen though. Does it come in a liquid to syringe to her, or how do I administer it? Is there somewhere I can find the dosage for it?

SusieQ
Scrapbook Addict

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:41 am

Here's the dosage: https://www.guinealynx.info/medications.html#ibuprophen

Just remember that ibuprofen isn't anywhere near the strength of a real painkiller, and it can only be used temporarily because of potential side effects. It should be fine for a day or two, though.

You'll need a small syringe to give it to her.