Spay... and then some.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:01 am

We gave this to Rosie after his abcess drain was inserted. It's "Children's Non-Aspirin Pain Reliever" and contains 80 mg per 1/2 teaspoon, or 160 mg per 5 ml of acetaminphen.

We dosed Rosie, who weighed about 860 grams at the time, with .5 cc's twice a day.

melcvt00

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:34 am

Unless it was a steroid, even morphine or butorphanol don't last that long in a guinea pig. Their metabolisms are so fast, that they need redosed every 4 hours with the morphine, and 2 hours with the butorphanol.

melcvt00

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:35 am

Thanks, Para. She was just told not to use Tylenol. :)

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:58 am

You should tell your vet that owners can take the responsibility of confining the pet so they don't move around too much.

He has a responsibility to give the pain meds. What a stupid reason not to! It's also important that guinea pigs start eating after surgery..well, if they are left to be in pain I don't think that's going to happen.

Joanna

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:47 pm

I just emailed you with the name of my vet, so give him a call ASAP.

newwave_polly

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:25 pm

Well, update here...

I visited another vet today, hoping that I could get the pain meds from him because Beatrice wasn't looking too good today and still wouldn't eat or drink, so I was even more worried than I was yesterday. I had been getting up every couple hours through the night to heat up her heat pack and check on her because I was so worried. Her cage was right beside my bed though, so I could keep an eye on her quite well.

Anyway, this vet gave her subcuteaneous (sp?) fluids, which made me cringe and just about pass out myself. I've never seen that done before and I'm pretty medically squeamish. I got critical care from him too, but still no pain meds. When I brought her home I gave her another dose of the Advil, (which does seem to be controlling her pain fine), and got a bit of C.C. into her. That stimulated her appetite a little, and she was able to eat a tiny bit of lettuce. Through the day I've been feeding her pommegranite seeds (which is the only thing she would eat at first) and trying to get more C.C. into her.

I just finished feeding her 12 cc's of the C.C. and then gave her some orange bell pepper, which she gobbled up, a whole leaf of lettuce, some parsley, 1/2 a baby carrot, and then another larger chunk of pepper. Her appetite is back, she's eating like crazy, and she's looking sooo much better. She's bright and perky looking, like usual, instead of the lethargic, sick little girl she was this morning.

Thanks so much to lynx, pinta and joanna for getting me some vet recommendations. So far they haven't panned out, but thank you.

dribble

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:36 pm

To clarify: You went to a vet recommended by a GL member and he still didn't prescribe pain meds? Geez. Did you whine at him and cite instances where it made a real difference in the pig's healing?

I'm glad Beatrice is eating again, but honestly, both vets need to get up to speed on how helpful pain meds are for the little guys.

newwave_polly

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:48 pm

Actually, I never did get to see the GL-recommended vet. I had already gone to the other vet in the city that was listed on the Oxbow site. I'd just come back from there when I got pinta's recommendation. I called her vet anyway, and I believe, so did she, but the vet was reluctant to get involved with another vet's patient. Actually her vet said twice today when I called them, that they'd give me a call back, and I still haven't received a call, so I'm wondering why. Her vet apparently said she wanted to talk to my original vet that performed the surgery before seeing me. I haven't heard back from either vet.

dribble

Post   » Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:56 pm

Your vet did good by giving her subcues and Critical Care. That shows he's paying attention. I've walked into vets with printouts from this forum. I don't know if it helped or irritated, but at least I went in with support for my case.

lisam

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:03 am

Glad she's eating. I'd keep handfeeding her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:34 am

Pinta's vet has a great deal of experience with guinea pigs, in part, thanks to Pinta (who has so many of her own). Guinea pigs really do much better with pain medication. If you read the surgery link I gave you earlier, there are medical references that encourage aggressive pain management.

I hope she recovers alright. Yes, keep hand feeding her. Weigh her daily right now.

Joanna

Post   » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:06 pm

I am glad she is eating. When my rabbit was spayed she recovered quite quickly once she started eating. The tough part was restraining her and keeping her from leaping around. I'm glad you got some help.