Spay... and then some.

Piggster

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:01 pm

I hope Beatrice is on the mend and that nothing else is wrong with her except for her teeth. I'm going through the same thing right now and waiting to get my boar into the vet tomorrow morning to see what's up with his teeth

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:57 pm

I hope things work out also.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:08 pm

Oh, my fingers are crossed that Beatrice is on the mend. No fun!

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:16 pm

Beatrice is home now, but she's grinding her teeth a lot now, at least that's what it sounds like. She's not on pain killers. All I've got is the expired bottle of Advil made famous in the beginning of this thread a couple years ago.

Can she have some of it, expired and all, or what do I do? I could run out to the store tonight and get her a new bottle of Advil if she's in pain.

She's only got ABs in her tummy right now. Would it be bad to keep adding meds? I'd really like her to eat something.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:20 pm

Is this the same vet that wouldn't prescribe pain killer's previously?

If she had none during her surgery, I guess you'll need to run out and buy a new bottle. But it would have been so much simpler to get Metacam at the vet.

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:25 pm

No, it's a totally different vet, different city even. I asked about pain killers today though, and he said she wouldn't need them. I sort of figured that was BS at the time, but didn't have the strength to fight it today.

I'll go get her a new bottle now, but could you please help me out on the dosage? I'm a math idiot and don't trust myself. Beatrice is an even 1 kg right now.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:39 pm

According to the dosing guide, ibuprofen is given at 10mg/kg. I don't know the strength of the ibuprofen you're giving, but make sure it's not more than 10mg.

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:54 pm

Thanks Mum, I got some. It's Children's Advil, 100 mg/5 ml suspension.

I'm not sure how much to give her.

Am I missing a dosage guide somewhere? I don't see one.

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Please bear with me. I'm trying to make sense of this and posting my meager attempts at math on a public forum isn't pleasant. ;)

100mg/5ml suspension = 20mg/1ml(cc) ?

So, to get her 10 mg, I'd be giving her 0.5 ml I think?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Yes, that sounds right - 0.5cc should give you 10mg of a 100mg/5ml suspension.

newwave_polly

Post   » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Thank you, Mum!

newwave_polly

Post   » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:18 am

Just to update, Beatrice still isn't eating on her own. She managed a bit of melon yesterday and again this morning, but it was really just a tiny amount, maybe a few bites.

I have a sick feeling that the vet messed up her teeth. I can see now that he trimmed her front teeth and they're a lot shorter than they were. She took a piece of hay from me but then wanted it out of her mouth, like she wasn't chewing it properly and it was gagging her.

She attempted a piece of lettuce this morning, but didn't seem to be able to get much of a grip on it. There were tiny teeth marks in her red pepper pieces when I got home from work today, but she didn't eat more than a taste of it. For now, I put a bowl of melon in the cage for her, just in case she feels able to eat it.

I'm trying to keep up with handfeeding her as best I can, but she really won't take much. Her energy is good, she's perky and she's keeping warm, so I think she's doing okay. I'd like her to be way better than this though. It's frustrating to know she's not eating nearly enough.

I also can't get Critical Care in this city and that's really frustrating too. She's done well on it in the past, but now I can't get any for her. I just e-mailed Oxbow to see if they know of a local vet that might have some.

For now I've put her regular pellets into the blender with water and baby food squash and pureed it as best I can.

I'm keeping up with her Advil and ABs and I'm already exhausted because this is on my mind all day. I'm going to try to get another few cc's of food into her tonight before bed along with her meds. It's honestly a struggle to even get 1cc of food into her.

I can get pretty much anything into any of my pigs but Beatrice. She's a crazy squirmer and it's SO difficult. Every vet she's ever been to has had a next to impossible time examining her and working on her and now I'm trying to get food and meds into her flailing little mouth and it's not easy.

I need a good vet!!! I miss living near pinta's vet. It's so nice to not have to worry about the vet's competency. Now it's basically a crap shoot and I never know what I'm going to get.