Spay... and then some.

newwave_polly

Post   » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:36 pm

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure what vet we're seeing, but I was in their computer as being referred by Pinta from the last time, although I haven't actually been there.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:39 pm

Good luck, NW_P. Debbie is quite experienced. I hope it is something treatable.

newwave_polly

Post   » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:57 pm

We just got back from the vet.

She tried to take a urine sample from Beatrice, but Beat put up quite a fight and so, no sample came out. As soon as I put her back in the travel cage though, she peed. This urine looked clear, but I'd actually seen some pretty nasty looking bloody urine yesterday on the gp play tarp. Picking Beatrice up today, she had left some blood on me, so I then knew it had come from her.

The vet is getting Beatrice's records sent over from the vet who did her spay in December. Then, Beat goes back to this clinic on Thursday morning. The vet said she'd take a urine sample then, because her first hunch is a UTI. She's thinking that getting the sample could require sedation because Beatrice is such a live wire. She really kicked the crap out of both the vet and the assistant today.

So, she told me to fast Beatrice on Thursday morning before bringing her in. She said no pellets or veggies in the morning. Does fasting include hay? I would assume so, but Beatrice isn't going to be a very happy pig if she's hungry.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:00 pm

Yes, it includes hay. She'll just need to put up with it for a few hours.

newwave_polly

Post   » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:02 pm

Man, am I going to be in Beat's bad books on Thursday!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:08 pm

If she's not getting surgery, I would think fasting would not be necessary. With surgery she might be positioned on her back. Guess I would be slipping hay (at least) to my pig. I hope it is no more than a couple hours, he's talking about.

newwave_polly

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:17 pm

I just got back from Beat's vet appointment, and today was definitely a credit card day.

She was at the clinic from 11-1:30 today. She was sedated, urine sample done, x-ray for stones, SQ fluids, and got a shot of Baytril, with more to take home. She's a little groggy and quiet, but I'm feeding her parsley on my lap right now.

I saw the x-ray, and there isn't any sign of stones at all. There was evidence of a UTI in the urine sample, hence the Baytril.

The x-ray did show evidence of her spay though. The previous vet had told me he put a staple in her as a suture during the spay, and warned me that it would show up on future x-rays. I certainly wasn't expecting to see the SEVEN staples on the x-ray today.

The first vet had told me that there was a tumor on her kidney that caused the spay to be a nasty one, but from the records he kept, it said that her right ovary was enlarged and beginning to fuse to her kidney. Anyway, that's what I found out.

She'll be on Baytril for 2 weeks. Should I be giving her extra vitamin C to fight off this UTI?

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:20 pm

A C supplement never hurts when i pig is sick.

lisam

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:29 pm

Ditto.

newwave_polly

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:01 pm

Thanks E and lisam, I've given her some C. She's still sitting with me, munching on the various good things I'm putting in front of her.

newwave_polly

Post   » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Beatrice has me worried.

Beatsie hasn't eaten on her own at all this weekend. She showed a bit of interest in veggies yesterday, but didn't actually eat any of them. This is a pig that loves to eat - rather, she lives to eat, so I'm pretty sure I noticed as soon as she stopped eating.

She's lost some weight, she's drooling, and her poops aren't formed normally right now, which I can understand, because she's not eating.

Of course things like this only ever happen on weekends when the vet is closed, so I've been stuck. I've called all over to try to get some Critical Care, but nobody has any. One vet office asked me "is it the one for puppies or kittens?" I'm guessing I can get some from my regular vet tomorrow, but there's really only one emergency clinic here that's open on the weekend, and they had nothing.

Yesterday Beatrice was interested in eating mushed up pellets from a spoon, so I held her and let her do that. Today is more of a struggle. I've got some baby food squash, and I'm trying to get that into her with mushed pellets, but it's pretty hard. She's a fiesty little pig and wants nothing to do with it.

I'm guessing it's a tooth issue, but I just saw another new thread here on maloclussion where kidney issues are mentioned with similar symptoms. The beginning of this thread talks about Beat's spay a couple of years ago and how the vet messed around with her kidney. That's got me even more concerned with this kidney thing.

I'm going to work from home tomorrow morning so I can hopefully get her a vet appointment first thing. In the meantime, I'll try to keep food going into her. She's not liking it very much.

I'm also having trouble getting the pellet mush through a syringe. The bumps and chunks get clogged in the nozzle part and it's driving me nuts. I've tried a few different sizes of syringe, but the nozzles on all the ones I have are still the same size. Grrr. Any suggestions on that?

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:42 pm

NWP I hadnt read this till now. I am sorry Beatrice isnt well. Please give a kiss for me. Keep us updated. Poor little Bea.