Did anyone know that just a TEASPOON of salt can be toxic to a dog?
I know this now...I didn't before. We had a dog come into the clinic, acting like it had gotten into something toxic. Turned out another vet had told this guy to give the dog salt water to make it vomit. The owner did it twice, using just a teaspoon each time. Turns out the dog ended up incredibly toxic from the salt.
The really scary part is that we didn't know that salt was that toxic. We put him on LRS IV fluids. We found out from Poison Control that if the dog's sodium (salt) level was higher than what it ended up being, the IV fluids we put him on would have made his brain swell. Freaky.
So, in short...don't ever give your dog (or cat!) salt!