Senior Check-Up

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:58 am

Sef - I'm so sorry. It's very hard to know what to do, and when to do it, or when to stop. It sounds like you're doing everything you can to keep him comfortable.

I have had numerous pigs come and go, but there are always the "special" ones that worm their way into your heart more than others. Losing them is a different story, and harder.

I hope that what to do will be clear for you, and that the two of you have good quality time right up till then end, whenever that comes.

Hugs.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:56 am

Thank you for the kind words. Husband and I have such a soft spot for seniors, and we take them in because we know they're harder to place. We know that getting a 5, 6 or 7-year old may mean that he won't be with us for very long, but I just didn't expect to be faced with this so soon with Leonard. This little old guy helped me through two very difficult, back-to-back losses in 2012. He and I bonded immediately, and he has been my special little buddy ever since.

I spoke with our vet this morning, and cancelled our appointment for tomorrow. She agreed with me that there's really nothing she can do for him, and it wouldn't be worth the stress on him and his body to put him through an exam; said we're already doing everything she would have advised us to do.

She is going to provide me with some fresh Metcam and said to let her know if we need anything, especially if we need her help when 'the time' comes. I really appreciated that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 am

Talishan, there are small, flexible cameras that can take video and pics. Maybe a series of photos illustrating teeth issues might help. I guess it's having the technology to do this (would be a replacement for showing what she does and sees with her otoscope).

jacqueline

Post   » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:41 pm

I run through that same gauntlet. I choose to take in seniors and "sick" pigs. I know right from then start I only have them for a short time. I feel honored to be able to spoil them, and give them a soft, safe place to spend whatever time they have left.

All those piggies you've cared for in their twilight years - I'm sure they're watching over you and the other lucky piggies. And when the time comes for the next one to transition home, they'll be there, helping both of you.

Least that's how I like to think of it. . .

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:31 am

That's a very good way to think of it. :-)

Sef -- see if your vet will give you a small amount of buprenorphine. The standard liquid (0.3 mg/mL I think **but check this**) can be used in tiny, tiny amounts (0.01 -- 0.04 mL), given transdermally by gently smushing the syringe against the inside of the mouth, at the buccal cheek pad. Anything swallowed becomes oral administration, which works too.

I am NOT repeat NOT advocating home euthanasia or anything even close. I am NOT advocating using more than specified in Carpenter's. I am saying that if Leonard becomes weak enough, this can really help him relax, zone out, and feel less discomfort. That can be the case if he passes at home, or if you decide the best thing is to take him in and help him over.

Lynx -- I'll ask Dr. A. about the otoscope tutorial. The last time we needed a pic of something, the senior tech came in with her iPhone and snapped one, so I'm not sure about available technology but it's worth an ask.