Small Pet Select Pellets

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:14 pm

I'm sorry, I'm sure there is another thread on this, but when I searched all I found was hay threads.

I am constantly switching back and forth pellets because I have picky pigs. Right now they're eating a mixture of KMS, garden Oxbow and regular Oxbow. I like KMS because of the lower calcium (I've had stone issues before, but none of my currents have yet), but it's so dusty. Last fall I decided to try Small Pet Select hay after getting fed up with my local feed stores supply and the poor quality in the Oxbow bags. My pigs loved the second cut Small Pet Select timothy, and I've been using it ever since. It smells great and looks great. I recently purchased some more KMS to mix with my Oxbow pellets, on the same day I purchased Small Pet Select timothy hay. My hay from Small Pet Select arrived before my pellets from KMS even shipped (almost a week after I purchased it). So, I'm debating next time ordering Small Pet Select pellets. I'm wondering what people's experiences are with Small Pet Select pellets. Do your pigs like them? Are they more similar to the dusty KMS or the shiny Oxbow pellets? I can look up their ingredients, but it's hard to know the texture of the pellets from the picture. If I'm trying something new I'd rather try to find something less dusty and crumbly.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:28 pm

KMS is under relatively new management, so I don't know if the procedures are still the same. But previously, KMS pellets were milled in small batches and shipped when very fresh. To me, that always outweighed any other possible negatives about them.

SPS pellets use calcium carbonate as the calcium source, and there's been some anecdotal evidence linking that to bladder stones. In fact, Oxbow switched to another calcium source a year or so ago.

The nutritional blurb on their website has an error in the listings, so there's no way to tell what the max calcium values are, but they used to be higher in calcium than either Oxbow or KMS.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 pm

I bought one bag of Small Pet Select pellets with a hay order and noticed increased calcium deposits on the fleece. One of my girls developed a stone shortly after (I realize this could have been a complete coincidence). I do think their calcium might be too high.

That’s interesting about Oxbow switching the calcium source. I recently got a bag of Oxbow after not having used it in a while. I noticed very few calcium deposits on the fleece while they were on them. I’ve been using up some Dr Foster & Smith pellets because I accidentally ordered too much. I think it might be worth it to switch back to Oxbow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 pm

I have been reading about the detrimental effects of too much salt. I remember the Oxbow pellets being somewhat salty. Have they cut back on that? Excess salt can affect the heart.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 pm

My guys all like Zupreem. It's higher in calcium, but the source is not calcium carbonate:

We had case after case of bladder stones while on Oxbow before they changed their formula. I do believe there is a correlation. After the way Oxbow's vet staff dismissed my concerns at the time, I'm still reluctant to buy their stuff just as a matter of principle.

I really wish Sherwood made better-tasting pellets. Looks good on paper, but I've tried it a couple of times and the boys absolutely wouldn't touch it:

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the information everyone. Once I get my KMS pellets I should be good for 5-6 months since I mix three bags together and they only get 1TBS per pig, but I will maybe try Zupreem or Sherwood next time.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:11 pm

Sherwood pellets are REALLY high in calcium. There are plenty of people singing their praises, but as far I know, no independent studies have been done of them, and they haven't been around long enough to see what a long-term diet on them will do to a pig.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:17 pm

I think I had forgotten that his pellets are alfalfa-based. A lot of pseudo science here:
http://sherwoodpethealth.com/the-science/#alfalfa

Lovemypigs
Supporter in '17

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:07 am

bpatters - I had not heard or received a notice that KMs was under new mgmt. I know that Linda was pretty sick...does that have anything to do with it? I hope she is ok and maybe just needed a work break. Did she sell the business completely or just some people changes? I had wondered why no notices of new hay batches like usual, maybe the mgmt. change is why.

They really have the best products, in my opinion.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:41 am

I don't know how she is. But she did sell the business.

Lovemypigs
Supporter in '17

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

bpatters - Thanks for the reply. Hopefully the great quality they have always had doesn't change. So far it has been good with a very recent hay and pellet purchase.