Boys will be boys!

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:13 pm

I have four boars. Three live together (Charlie, Dixie, Nookie), and the fourth (Lee) lives by himself. The trio has been together for a few years and introducing a fourth boar was not an option because of the size of the cage. Besides, Lee and Charlie couldn´t stand to look at each other, even during just floortime, and they fought like crazy. I mean two interlocked pigs rolling around in one furball, with hair flying around and screams. I tried many, many times and finally gave up on Lee. For a long time, I couldn´t put him with any pig or all hell would break loose and he was always the agressor. Then, he finally agreed to spending time with either Nookie or Dixie. Tonight, I decided to try the four of them together again.

I had the computer room´s door closed, gloves and the broom because I was expecting trouble and wanted to be prepared, but I was in for a surprise. They sniffed each other and then Charlie started exploring the room, Nookie took about 3 steps before parking his fat butt in a corner, Dixie was all excited to have a new friend and Lee stood there, teeth chattering and hair standing on end. Lee chattered his teerh for the whole hour they were together but nothing major happened and he looked more scared than anything. Charlie spent most of his time figuring a way to climb into Bimbo´s cage, Nookie just laid there as usually, Dixie kept following Lee and goosing him. Lee, as his charming self, just kept swearing at them and finally went to hide in the hay closet to watch the others from a distance. That´s it! When he got tired, Lee went back to his cage (he lives on the floor level). When I went to put the others back, I found Nookie happily munching on cat food. No wonder he has a butt crack!

So there is hope for Lee. I´m hoping to introduce him a young boar in a few weeks, things look good! Maybe he´ll finally get it in his pea brain that the whole world is not out to get him.

Becky

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:07 am

Sounds a lot like recess. Butt sniffing and all.

Zoe

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:58 am

That gives me hope for Petunia. Daphne and Iris grew up with each other... went through their teen pregnancies together, before I got them. Petunia... I don´t know. My guys may be girls, but Petunia is one tough kid... So, thick leather gloves and a broom? When Zoe was young, I rescued her from a ball of fur fight and that sweet girl bit me so hard. I´d love to have all 3 of my girls in one big cage.... So how are those boars doing now?

Sunny

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:59 am

Good news E. I wonder why Lee is so frightened? He must have been picked on as a baby. Or maybe he´s just a bully, knowing that payback is coming. Good luck.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:08 am

Interesting.

My mother re-introduced Momma to Dutchy after the loss of Ginger (who was living with Dutchy) and they seem fine. Momma just didn´t like Ginger.

Good luck with Lee. Some are so hard to find friends for.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:36 pm

Zoe-
Dixie, Nookie and Charlie have lived together for almost their entire lives without problem. Nookie and Dixie are very laid back and would get along with probably anyone. Charlie is a little jerk and does well with the others since they are submissive.

Sunny-
I found Lee in a pet store where he had been for sale for months (adult males are not easy to sell) and the owner was considering letting him go as snake food.
After asking questions, I realized that Lee has been sold as a baby with a young female. The female had been bred a few times and the babies were sold in that pet store. Then the owner got tired of them and brought them back to the store. The store owner decided to keep them as a breeding pair. Lee and his mate were never separated, so she was constantly pregnant.
On a Monday morning (the store is not open on Sundays and no one bothers to check on the animals), the owner found Lee sitting in the cage with a dead sow and dead babies. The sow had bled to death and none of the babies had survived.
I´m guessing this has been very traumatic to him. That could be why he reacts this way with other pigs.

RavenShade-
I´m confident he won´t feel as threaten with a baby. I´m hoping!

Sunny

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:45 pm

Oh, god... how sad. Thank goodness he´s with you now. Too bad momma couldn´t have been saved too.

Thanks for telling his story.

Casseopia

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:51 pm

that is very sad about the dead sow and babies! Poor Lee must have been very lonely after that! i admire your courage at introducing adult males! I myself have never tryed it with my own pigs (until my sow had piglets, i stuck to girls!) but i was watching a friend´s pair of boars at my house (they had just been introduced) and they went at it hammer and tongs nonstop until i had to seperate them!
but perhaps a baby is just the thing he needs! the same friend of mine actually kept those boars together, and added a baby (maybe not the solution i would´ve used, but that´s Michelle for you!) with them! As odd as that may seem, it actually worked! The boars were distracted by the young ´un, and have been living peacefully ever since!