will 2 hour car ride stress out my pigs?

KrazyKavy

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:09 pm

I´m taking my pigs to a new vet in a couple of days. Do you think a two hour car ride will be too stressful for them? Between the new surrondings, and total of four hours in a car, it seems like it might be rough on them. Should i try to find a better vet near by? The vet i want to take them to sounds so perfect, so much better than anything around my area. Don´t get mad at me if this is a stupid question, i really dont know what is too stressful for them, and I´ve never had to drive them that far before.

If it is ok what should i do to make the trip more comfy for them? Maybe a blanket over the cage?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:30 pm

Don´t get mad at me if this is a stupid question,

Can´t make any promises but all I can say is the alley is full of beaten bodies and the woodchipper is on 24/7 and cement shoes are on order.

My pigs have no problem in cars. They travel in a large shallow basket that allows them to see what´s going on in the car and at the vet. I´ve had a couple of pigs that like looking out the car window while we drive. They clamber out of the basket on up onto my arm for a good view of blur.

Make sure they have lots of food including wet lettuce or other high water content veggies. Pellets and hay as well.

A friend used to take her pigs in a large box to the vets. She switched to a shallow container and her pigs became a lot less stressed. The stress for them is often from not being able to see what is going on.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:45 pm

Mine go on 45 minute trips to the "good" vet. What kind of car do you have? Is it particuclarly noisy? Do you have airconditioning? I´d make sure they were not hot but I´m guessing there would be no problem taking them for a two hour trip either.

Rather than an open basket, I´m someone who would go with a secure cat carrier, lined with soft towels and padded with hay. I´d buckle it in with a seat belt and include some romaine and other treats to munch on. The hay will be enjoyed when they´re done with the vegs.

Zoe

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:08 pm

My guys go 45-60 minutes, depending on time of day and traffic... to the "good" vet. The only times I ever was concerned was if the sun got on them. I have a really nice car for the first time in my life... air conditioning, smooth ride... but I don´t want the sun on them.

A piggie I had when I was 9 got heat stroke from being left in a cage in the shade... but the sun moves pretty fast (I was 9... I learned... it was so awful). My sister claims he got brain damage from it... but he lived.

Anyway, I don´t like to stress my guys out on long car trips, but if I must... I make the carrier, box or cage really comfy... give them greens to eat... aI talk to them.. .and I make sure there is no possibility of the sun drenching the cage.

KrazyKavy

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:12 pm

I drive a Mercury Sable, it does have air conditioning, but it is a little bit noisey. To add to it, I have to take the NYS Thru way, so I will be going about 70mph, which makes my car a little bit more noisey than usual (due to the dashboard shaking a little).

If it is still ok, do you think a cat carrier would be better than their cage? I have a basic cat carrier that opens in the front. I don´t think that it would support a water bottle though, Im sure i can try to "rig" something up to keep it stable. T

Thanks for the info everybody.
Last edited by KrazyKavy on Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:28 pm

Zoe-
Go to a baby supply store and buy those screens you stick in the windows of cars. It allows you to see through, but blocks the sun.

KrazyKavy

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:31 pm

Good idea, I will do that.

imanut4u

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:15 pm

"I have a basic cat carrier that opens in the front. I don´t think that it would support a water bottle though"

Skip the bottle, it will leak all over with the vibrations of the car. Use the wet vegetables (romaine is good) as their source of water. Just pack a little cooler for the pigs. You can bring the bottle along to use when you stop or in the vet´s office but I wouldn´t use it in the car.

The bottle I have attaches just fine to my cat carrier.

imanut4u

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:15 pm

PS is your pig a female or male or still undecided???

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:39 pm

Romaine and tomatoes. Mine love tomatoes. Agree skip bottle while traveling.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:40 pm

I went for a four hour drive with three of mine in a travel cage. 2 did well, while oreo was kinda stressed during the ride cowering in the corner, I think if I would have given her a little hut to hide in it would have made the journey a little more managable.

The cage had bedding, hay, pellets and veggies in it, I avoided a water bottle b/c of leaking. I did bring one and put it in when we were stopped.

ladyveg

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:49 am

My pig Misha made the 1010 mile trip to me over several weeks, from a rescue in PA to me in WI, and she was pregnant at the time--had her babies one month after arriving. She´s still here! My favorite vet is 1 hour away. I have found that the pigs are not too bad on trips; because of the rescue, I´m hauling pigs all over the state all the time. I´m sure yours will be fine.
Last edited by ladyveg on Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.