re: brown growth on leg

margaret

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:27 pm

Hi--You all have helped me before with my guinea pig questions and I'm hoping you can help again. I have a 7 month pig who is well loved and cared for. Recently I noticed a round dark brown mole like area on her hind leg with what appears to be a somewhat long skin tag growing out of the middle of the area. has anyone else experienced this? I plan on taking her to the vet to check it out but I really don't want it taken off needlessly (which would probably require anesthesia and all of those inherent problems) if I don't have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance! Other than this mole like area, she seems perfectly normal---same appetite, no weight loss, just as active, etc.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:31 pm

Do you think this could be a spur? See www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spur (I think).

margaret

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:37 pm

no, it's not a spur--I checked your web site. It is located in the furry part of the leg way above the foot. what do you think? Have you ever heard of this? do guinea pigs get moles or skin tags? this is my first, so I am still somewhat new to this all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm

How large/long is it? One of my pigs has a very small skin tag behind her ear. I noticed as it was developing -- started out as a pimple kind of thing and then stopped growing.

margaret

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:06 pm

the actual brown mole is about the size of a pencil eraser tip, the actual tag is maybe an 1/8th of an inch (maybe less). Does your guinea pig have that colored mole like area surrrounding the tag behind the ear?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:51 pm

I don't think so.

I believe many animals can have a variety of skin disorders -- I would imagine a vet will have seen something like it on a different species. You could ask for it to be removed and biopsied if you wanted to know for sure it was not cancerous.

margaret

Post   » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:08 pm

thanks, I am definitely going to have the vet check it out. I just feel better checking with you guys first!!!!!

margaret

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:12 pm

Hi again---I feel really stupid for even posting this question. My only defense is that this is my first pig so I had no idea. Anyway, I checked my pig out further and discovered that this is one of her nipples!!! When I would hold her, the skin would push against her leg and make it appear that it was on her leg, but when I turned her over there was another one directly opposite it on the other side. Sorry for being so dumb and again thanks for the help!!!!!

hammer
Supporter in '10

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:59 pm

Ha! Are you blushing?

Better to be worried over nothing than be complacent about something important.

Tammy

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:11 pm

Hey, at least you're not like my friend who shreeked, "OMG! They have 2 bellybuttons!" When I showed her how to differentiate a male from a female.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:49 pm

Don't worry. We've heard some pretty strange things over the years.