I need help with agressive piggies

shirleytx

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:32 pm

?( I am at a loss and don´t know what to do. My girls 18 month old Thelma and Louise are living happily in thier cube and coroplast cage. I wanted a 3rd piggy and got Anisette who I´ve had for 6 weeks. She started in a separate cage which was then moved next to Thelma and Lou´s cage. Then I built a bigger C&C cage and put her in one end with a divider. a week later I tried introducing them on the floor and both Thelma and Louise jumped Anisette and tried to bite her. I left it a week and tried the intro method on a couch my husband and I had a piggy each we set them down between us they both started chattering teeth and went to bite each others faces off. A week later I tried in the bath with newspaper and towells and plenty of veggies and they were still instantly agressive. AAhhhh Am I doomed? will they never see eye to eye? Are there some piggies that just don´t get along? Should I keep trying? I need help! What should I do?  ?(
Last edited by shirleytx on Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:55 pm

I think there is a thread in this forum on Introductions and Dominance that may help you.
http://guinealynx.info/forums/thread.php?threadid=50&boardid=9&styleid=1
And I believe Teresa Murphy has some advice on how to do introductions on her www.cavyspirit.com site if you look in the left hand column. Might be called "social life".

It can be done. I never had to worry about it myself (only one girl introduced to a pair and they worked it out before too long). If you read other people´s experiences and advice, you´ll have more to go on.
Last edited by Lynx on Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2002 1:19 am

How old is Anisette?

I introduced (2) 3 month old sows to another 3 month old sow and there was some chattering etc. for a few days. Only a few times I tossed a towel on them. It wasn´t too bad.

Then I introduced a 3 month old to the herd of now (3) 4 month olds. NO problems at all.

Then I tried to introduce and adult sow to the herd when the others sows were about 9 months old. NO WAY!! Blood drawn and the whole bit. I tried several times over 2 days but it clearly was not going to work.

Then I introduced a 5 week old to the herd of 1 year old sows and NO PROBLEMS at all.

So... in my experience, age makes a big difference. Older and younger combos work. Older and older combos did not.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:56 am

I have never had problems introducing any pig to a full herd. In factm, I just throw them in, more or less. I think the more pigs you have the easier it is.

shirleytx

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:08 am

Anisette is older than Thelma and Louise by a couple of months. She may be there mother as she came from the same group of rescue piggies. I adopted them 6 weeks apart.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2002 10:30 am

I´ve been through this twice. The bathtub does work but you have to leave them alone for hours to give them time to accept and bond with each other. Unless you think someone is actually going to get hurt I suggest you try it again. Mine were aggressive when first put in the tub but I could see they were not going to kill or hurt each other so I left them alone.

The first time I had to do it I left them in there for 8hrs and it worked. The second time was 4hrs.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:29 pm

Should i get another one? I got one today and i´m afraid that it´ll be lonely or sumthing

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:42 pm

They are happier with other pigs but if you can spend lots of time with your pig and let it out for lots of exercise daily, it´s possible one would be okay. Most people on this board have more than one pig.

Dion

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:17 pm

It´s dominance. An older or a pig just as old threatens the dominance of all the pigs. Introducing younger ones, especially to girls, seems to work well.

Jill

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:31 pm

What is it about the bathtub that works for introductions?

10 posts • Page 1 of 1