Helping Kids Handle Cavies

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:41 pm

Notice how my hands are right there for Einstein in this one.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:37 pm

Those kids are really adorable.

We did the same thing when my little cousin came over. I sat in a chair with Flo on my lap, and Steve sat nearby with his hands at the ready, too:

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:29 pm

I have a 4 year old & a 2 year old. My four old son, Toby is allowed to hold one piggie at a time in his lap & feed them veggies. Toby's really good with the piggies, the cat, and the fish. Toby even lets Rayna climb up on his chest for a kiss while he's sitting on the couch.

My two old son, Max is a completely different story. Max is allowed to feed veggies to a pig that is either on my lap or on the couch while he sits on the floor. This way if Max gets bored & wants to get up to play then no piggie gets accidentally smushed/dropped/hurt. I or my husband closely supervise all piggie time with the kids and we don't have more than 2 pigs out at a time. We also don't do floor time with the pigs until the kids are asleep.

Salana, my boys also argue over who is eating more veggies from them too. It's also cute to see Max try to bribe a pig to leave Toby's lap for him.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:17 pm

Here is Max sitting on the floor in front of the couch while Ashes eats some carrot from his hand.

Here is Toby carefully petting Ashes while she eats some greens.
Last edited by momof911kids on Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:23 pm

One of my fave GP pix. Thats Rocky in there BTW. :)

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:56 pm

You all have some really great ideas. I think I might discuss some of these ideas with the parents of these kids so that they can sit down with them (and tell the purple monster story!) before they come over, and then go over it again before I bring out the pigs. Considering how badly I wanted to hug and cuddle our guinea pigs from the moment we brought them home, I can just imagine how hard it is for little kids to hold back.

I *LOVE* all of the pictures of the kids with pigs!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:02 pm

My nephew (almost three years old) has had a lot of experience with pets, as he and one of the family's cats have had this love affair going on for most of his life. She'll come up to him and he'll pet her endlessly, so he's remarkably gentle with animals.

Although today he was petting Cuddles backwards, which did not please her.

27 posts