Timothy Based Pellets

UP Lisa

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:10 am

Hello. I see the American Pet Diner website, which has a timothy-based pellet, advises feeding them only to overweight adults or to those with urinary tract problems. I´m getting confused...

Lisa

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:31 am

There are different opinions. Many pigs actually are overweight, though. A leaner pig is supposedly a healtier pig. Opinions on why pigs might develop stones usually side more to medical or genetic predisposition. It is hoped if calcium in older pigs is not excessive that fewer pigs who might have developed problems would avoid them but no one really knows.

I do notice mine pee a less sludgy pee. I feel it helps their health. And Nina has slowly dropped a little weight though Kitten seems to be as plump as ever.

Karen
Slug Whisperer

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:24 pm

I found that when I switched over to Oxbows Cavy Cuisine timothy based pellets our pigs lost some weight, which was good as a couple of them were starting to become little porkers!

UP Lisa

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:33 pm

As long as they don´t loose too much, I guess. There are several brands of pellets available here, but they are ALL alfalfa based.

At what age would you switch the young ones over to the timothy?

Lisa

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:09 pm

I think 6 months is the general rule of thumb.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:21 pm

I´d say more like a year. They are still bulking up at 6 months of age.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:26 pm

I´d go with a year as well.

From what I´ve read and researched, APD pellets aren´t that great. I got some to try with my pigs, but they smelled so bad I couldn´t do it. That and reading the label, of course. I even got the sample directly from the distributor, so they were fresh. I´ve seen lots of pellets, but these were almost too close to many "bargain brands" that have nothing but garbage in them. I´ll stick with Oxbow´s Cavy Cuisine, thank you. I wish someone sold it here (still working on the new feed store, which is immaculate with quality customer service), but at least they do deliver to my door!

pinta

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:33 pm

Vicki of Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue says the same.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:15 pm

Supposedly they changed the formula recently. I saw Lisa at an exotics symposium a few months ago. It seems as if they´re trying hard to compete with Oxbow, going as far as formulating a critical care formula like Oxbow´s Critical Care for Herbivores. Lisa said they test every batch of their food (unlike Oxbow) and are more consistent.

Consistently mediocre, sure.

I have used Oxbow at least two-three years and have seen no indication of the problems she described. Just a bunch of Oxbow bashing. They can´t compete, for sure.

pigpal

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:45 pm

Another loyal Cavy Cuisine customer here. My hefty couch potato pig slimmed down slowly and surely when we switched to CC, yet the more energetic leaner pig didn´t lose an ounce. They´re both at appropriate weights now and have been for 18 months or so.

My house guest pigs came with APD Timmy Pellets and I noticed they smell sickly sweet. Now I look at the ingredients on the label I can see why. Molasses and beet pulp!

UP Lisa

Post   » Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:31 am

I´m sure they love the molasses, but don´t need it for anything. Thanks for the advice. Actually it seems Oxbow ends up being a little cheaper for me to order, anyway.

Lisa

Sunny

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:04 pm

So what to do when you have babies housed with an adult?

I have three boars living together. Two are 2 months old and the other is just over a year. Currently I´m giving them alfalfa everyday except once a week when I give them Timothy. I have no idea whether this is a good mix so thought I´d better ask.

Two and Two

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:32 pm

I have four little guys (between 3 and 4 1/2 months). Should they stay on the Cavy Performance until a year or do I start switching at 6 months?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:52 pm

General rule of thumb is wait til a year to switch (check reference forum for email from Dawn at Oxbow Hay).

Sunny, I think I´d take them out and give them a bit extra alfalfa. And not put it in all the time.

All the pellets are alfalfa anyway. When they´re all over a year, perhaps switch to a timothy based pellet.

lisam

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:24 pm

Funny this came up. I am starting to feel guilty about feeding my guys alfalfa based pellets, most of them are over a year old. Do you guys with the big herds put out the bucks for the expensive Oxbow stuff?

I wonder if I could just feed mine grass hay pellets? I feed them to a few of my horses. All they are are pellets of grass hay, nothing else added. I doubt my pigs are getting much vit c from the pellets I buy, anyway, and so I supplement. And with the amount of greens and veggies and occasional fruits, and free choice hay, do they really need a special pellet formulated for guinea pigs?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:51 pm

Lisam-
Not that I recommend doing it, but I feed my pigs horse pellets. The only pig pellets I can get here is Hagen and Hartz in 2lbs bags. Neither are good choices. Ordering Oxbow or something similar is not realistic, since I´d pay something like 150$ for a 50lbs bags, after exchange rate, customs, taxes and shipping. I just can´t spend that kind of money.

So my only solution was to find good quality alfalfa pellets for horses. I called around, looked at ingredient lists, talked to my vet and decided on one kind that´s readily avalable and is very good quality. Maybe not Oxbow quality, but a whole lot better than Hagen and Hartz. I called the company to make extra sure they were not adding stuff that didn´t show on their ingredient list (preservatives, antibiotics, etc).

My pigs have been on it for over two years, now. Of course, I´d much prefer to be feeding them high quality guinea pig pellets, but in my situation, it´s just not something that´s possible. Besides, guinea pigs and horses are so much alike in so many aspects. And good alfalfa pellets are good alfalfa pellets. Obviously, my pellets don´t have added vitamin C, but I feed greens in good amounts every day and all my pigs are (furiously knock on wood!!) all healthy.

Like I said, I´m not recommending this, but it has worked very well for me as a last resort. Now, if the US stop screwing us over and our dollar regains value, I´ll be the first in line to order Oxbow. I´d love to put my hands on the grass pellets you are talking about.

PS- A few days ago, I was reading Teresa´s adoptables page and under one of the pictures, it said that pig had been rescued from a horrible situation where he was fed horse feed. Yikes! Reason #46 why Teresa would never adopt to me.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:32 pm

Lisam, I think you do what you want -- try to do the best. I am betting that the timothy pellets will make getting stones less likely. But I don´t know if they are disposed to stones anyway.

I guess it´s prevention. Don´t know if it will work or not. As for losing weight when switching from alfalfa pellets to timothy pellets, dream on. I have three fat pigs to prove it doesn´t make much difference.

I do think the vegetables count and count big toward good nutrition. If I were you, I´d also try to pick nice fresh grass every day. In the end, they will eat fewer pellets and be healthier.

I´m sure you will work something out that is suitable for you. None of us know for sure the best diet -- we guess and try to provide it.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:38 pm

Lynx - I´m not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying to keep the Timothy hay available at all times for all three boars, but seperate the two babies once a day for an alfalfa feeding?

Becky

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:24 pm

Not to speak for Lynx, but I think that is what she means. The timothy is good for all of them.

I tried that with my three girls. Chippy is sludgy so really shouldn´t have any alfalfa, so I would put it down whil Chippy had some lap time. Of course, the other two ate about two bites, then were off doing who-knows-what and I had a pile of alfalfa to clean up. Try it, though. It might work for you.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:38 pm

Sunny, yes.

Hmmm, I opened that bottle of rum I bought and sat outside to watch the sunset. I suppose it got in the way.....

27 posts