New GP

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:24 pm

Hey ppl! I just got a new guinea pig(Did I spell dat rite?) I named him Chuffey and i need some advise to how to take care of him. Plz tell me wut to buy etc. Thx! :)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:30 pm

Your best bet is to read www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/healthycavy.html
It will give you the basics. You might glance at thread titles in Cavy Chat in case there is something else that interests you. And using the search feature (see button above) can turn up other interesting conversations.

Hope you enjoy your pig!!

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:52 pm

I have some questions to ask:
-What is a draft
-Why is my Gp always staying near the corner
-how do you make the toilet paper roll toy thing
-what kind of hay should i stuff in it
-how long does my gp take to get comfortable in the area
-should I not visit him during that time and what if i did
-what should i buy for him(I only got him a starter kit)

pinta

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:12 pm

What was in the starter kit?

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:30 pm

vitamin supplement, cage, the pine wood chips, food pellets, alfalfa hay, water container, bowl and thats it

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:32 pm

Did you read the page I gave you? The information you need is there. Why not read that first and come back with questions. You´ll find your cage is probably too small.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:53 pm

holy #$%^ where am i going to get the space and money to get those fricken cages??!! Holy...... Mines like a 3 ft cage.....

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:01 pm

Check out www.cavycages.com

It´s possible to be quite creative. Don´t worry about doing it right away but give it some thought. You might be able to take a corner of your bedroom (if you spend lots of time there -- some people think bedrooms are a bad place to put pigs if they are left alone), line it with linoleum and put a wall around it.

What do you mean by a three foot cage? Three square feet? Do you have cats or dogs in the house you would have to worry about?
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:04 pm

Dump the vitamin supplements.

Does the cage have a solid bottom?

What are the dimensions?

It´s easy and cheap to make your own cage.

A draft is a cool breeze in the house.

How old is the pig?

He´s in the corner probably because he´s scared.

Slit a toilet paper roll lengthwise and stuff it with hay. If he´s under 6 months of age - Alfalfa hay - otherwise Timothy.

Visit him often, hold him on your lap - he´ll take a couple of weeks to get used to you.

The guide Lynx pointed to you will tell you what you need to buy for him.

Laura823

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:14 pm

Money? Cubes and coroplast cages (http://www.cavycages.com) are much cheaper than any cage you can buy in a store.

Is the pine kiln-dried? It should say on the bag if it is. If it´s not, dump that too. Some safe beddings are listed in the general care guide.

Do you have a hidey house in the cage? If not, that´s why your pig is hanging out in the corner all the time (aside from that fact that corners make handy bathrooms). They need a place to hide and feel safe. Wooden hidey holes, tunnels, Pigloos, etc. all serve the purpose.

Any questions you have about the suitability of the items in the starter kit should be answered in the general care guide. To tell the truth, most of it is crap and the only things you´ll get much use out of are the food dish and the water bottle (if you lucked out and got one that works decently).

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:19 pm

A card board box will work fine for a hiding place. It will have to be changed, though. Don´t dump the shavings -- Laura, I´m guessing they are fine. All pine shavings sold as bedding are actually kiln dried. If they weren´t they would be wet and could not absorb any moisture. You don´t want to buy a bag that got soaked in water though (farm supplies have their bedding outside -- broken bags are sometimes discounted).

Laura823

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:34 pm

Lynx - Really? I´ve heard that, but I find it hard to believe. Maybe they´re kiln-dried to some extent, but any pine bedding I´ve ever seen sold where I live has quite a strong pine scent. I wouldn´t use anything that smelled like that.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:06 pm

Kiln drying doesn´t necessarily remove all the odors. There is some variation depending on how resinous the wood they are using is. I generally purchase big 9 cu´ bags and dump 1/3 in an large open plastic bin to air out as I use it. If you can find pine shavings that are less fragrant, they are a good choice. But kiln drying is not the key, wood quality is.

Kiln drying is a lumber term that essentially brings the humidity level down in wood products. They are then more stable. Wet wood will shrink.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:18 pm

how should i make the cardboard house? Draw me a picture LOL
The Kiln is okay, its dried.
After about 7 hours at his new home, his beginning to come out of his lil poop filled corner and when he saw me, he runs back to his poop filled corner, its very weird, did your guinea pig did that 2 u?
Why should I dump da vitamin? I was suppose to put it in his water.
The cage is about 2.5ft by 2 ft

Thanks Alot People!:D

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:21 pm

Hey, that´s not too bad a size cage to start with. But it would only work for one pig. Just make sure he is eating fine (that page I sent you to lists what vegetables work well). If you use good fresh pellets and offer nice fresh food, your pet will probably get enough vitamin C.

I would look around for a box about the right size -- maybe a small shoe box. Turn it upside down so the bottom just rests on the shavings and cut a couple big holes for your pet to run in and out of. Cut the holes so they are like arched doorways that he can just walk through -- not a hole you jump through.

This is where my pigs live. I don´t use cardboard boxes, but instead use plastic stools with towels to cover them. They are easy to clean.

http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/my-pigs.html
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:24 pm

so when do i have to change the food? Every day?
I know i´ll have to change the water everyday but how bout food?
WHat kind of veggie should i feed him?

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:33 pm

Hurray! He´s not afraid of me no more!

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:36 pm

hmm, checked it out..... so where chu get the grass? I want some!

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:46 pm

Can you please spell words in a normal way? I´m having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say and I´m sure I´m not the only one. I think it would make exchanging information a little easier on us. Thanks.

So what is it you want to know about grass?

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:06 am

Where can you get them, is it from the backyard?

84 posts