HELP!! MITES!!!!

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:11 pm

I think there might be mites on my chuffey! WHile I was cleaning his cage, I noticed that there were lil tiny yellow beetle like bugs! Recently, my pig´s been scratching him self.........A LOT!
So what do I do if there is really mites on him?

stickyfroggi

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:16 pm

You can´t see mites with your eyes. It´s something else. Be prepared to take him to the vet. Use the button called "Guinea Lynx" at the top right of this page, it has all sorts of information about medical problems.

Laura823

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:29 pm

Here´s the direct link to the parasites info: http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/hairloss.html#externalparasites You can find out about the different parasites and their treatments there.

Has Chuffey been to the vet yet? If not, this would be a good time to get a general check-up done as well as have the parasites identified and treated. Info on finding a good vet: http://guinealynx.info/guinealynx/findingavet.html

It sounds like lice or fur mites. Mange mites cannot be seen by the naked eye.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:28 pm

While you´ve got Chuffey at the vet, be sure to have his sex confirmed, since you´ve talked about getting another pig.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:04 pm

so how much will it cost to get the treatment?

Megan

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:55 pm

We can´t tell you for sure. Depends on the vet. But what ever it is, it´s worth it!

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:51 am

yellow beetles? You sure they aren´t from not cleaning your room and the old ice cream dishes under the bed are attracting something? Of course get your pig to the vet, should it matter the price, don´t you love chuffey?
Last edited by Erin8607 on Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alfie

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:36 am

How often do you clean your cage? If you only saw them when cleaning it out, it is possible that they are some type of insect larvae. If a cage isn´t cleaned enough, it´s an ideal breeding ground for flies and other insects.

Just a thought.

Kat

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:05 am

Oh, Alfie, I just had this horrible image of a guinea pig getting fly-struck like our sheep at school. I´m not meaning to alarm anyone, but is that a possibility?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:47 am

Yes, it can happen. More likely if the animal is kept outside. It´s called myiasis (fly strike). I won´t go into any detail. This is a family board.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:51 am

his water bottle´s been spilling, will that make him itch?

Zoe

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:57 am

This piggy needs a vet. I love the boards, but when you need a vet, you need a vet. Hopefully one who has some knowledge of guinea pigs. I found a great vet and I take my pigs in and I drill him for info each time. This is how I went from new and unwise to wiser. These guys can suffer a lot while we try to learn... take your piggy to a professional and give us an update.

Poor itchy piggy needs your help.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:05 pm

Chuffeythegp -- did you know mange mites can kill? If it gets bad enough, the pig is in agony and quits eating. Go see a vet.

Jill

Post   » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:52 pm

Chuffey, aren´t you in Toronto? Here is a vet´s name copied from another thread on this board.

Toronto, Ontario
Dr. Samantha Munn
Danforth Veterinary Clinic
966 Pape Avenue
416-696-7000

Alfie

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2002 7:00 pm

Chuffey, take your pig to a vet.

15 posts • Page 1 of 1