Grape leaves

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:02 pm

Has anyone ever fed grape leaves to their piggies.? I was washing some in my sink for cooking and one of my piggies chowed down on it. I know they are edible for humans but I can´t find any mention of the edibility of them for piggies. I have a small vineyard and a large supply of grape trimmings so i´d like to use them if possible. I have a large pigie garden but am open to having them try new things. I have made grapevine wreathes with the vines but does any body have any idea how to weave the vines into g-pig huts? When dry they would be like twig shelters. We have 24 long-term rescue fosters so I am always looking for ways to recycke.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:20 pm

I would think the most important thing is that there are no pesticides on the leaves. In my experience, grapes are heavily treated for bugs and mold. I tried some wild leaves on them last week but they seemed un interested. There is a listing in the usda data base for grape leaves -- I am thinking they should be okay. Eat some yourself. If they are young, probably better. Older and more bitter might have more oxalic acid (supposedly not so desireable).

bats

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:23 pm

Google didn´t find anything useful searching on combinations of grape leaves, rodents, eating, and guinea pigs.

However -- and it´s a stretch -- it appears grape leaves are okay for iguanas. In fact, this following site lists a lot of other plants that are toxic and non-toxic for iguanas. http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/9008/toxicmf.html
Last edited by bats on Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:29 pm

I only do organic gardening so I know they are pesticide free. These are from my vineyard. I did see that site about iguana´s and a few other herbivores. I´m going to check with my vet just in case. I offered them to a few more pigs....... they seem to be about 50/50 on the eating scale.

Becky

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:31 pm

Never mind the grape leaves. When are you sending us your wine!?

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:03 am

We won´t have a great yeield this year as the grapes are only 1. 5 years old. We have Zinfinadel right now and are adding Rhone varietals. We´re just home based winemakers who do volunteer work at some of our local award winning wineries and pick their brains. We purchased grapes last year and will probably have to purchase them again this year. I ply my husband with good wine and sneak a few more foster guinea pigs in in. I´m really bummed that we just lost out on a five acre vineyard with an 1884 victorian house on it. It had a large air conditioned barn. Unfortunatly, we were bidding against a local sports celebrity that wanted to turn it into a bed and breakfast. He threw in a signed football to swing the deal his way. It would have been a great set up for more vines and an awesome set-up for more piggies and our other critters.
If you are in the Bay area, stop by for bottle of wine and a visit with the piggies.