Neutering times

cea2001

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:53 am

Jet was neutered 2 weeks ago and has done splendidly since the operation (one VERY nervous owner, I believe I´m the only person in South Australia to ever want to neuter their pig) - been kept on daily-changed bedding for 2 weeks, extra C, etc. Is 3 weeks the absolute minimum for keeping him apart from the ladies? He´s extremely lonely at the moment but I don´t want to put anyone at risk.

Also, any experience with putting neutered males with intact females? I´m hoping it will all go smoothly.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:27 am

I will probably be faced with the same situation very soon cea2001 (neutered male with intact female). Any tips you can provide would be helpful. I didn´t know you had to change bedding every day for 2 weeks. Guess I better read the neutering page.

Teresa

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:30 pm

I put my males in with females at two weeks. So do many rescues that I know who neuter regularly. We´ve never had a pregnancy after two weeks of waiting and I´ve never heard of one, although on the webpage I advise 3 weeks. Hopefully people will wait at least two. Standard introduction techniques should apply. Neutral territory and all that.

lisam

Post   » Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:08 pm

Do the males still attempt to breed the females? I know that when I have my horses gelded (castrated), they still act like stallions for some time afterwards. Usually the period of time correlates to the age when gelded.

cea2001

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:06 am

Sunny - I believe Theresa recommends changing bedding every day for 3 days (after neutering). I just played it safe as I have all the pigs on towels - I was just very nervous about infection as the only other operation I´d have had performed on a pig resulted in his death 2 weeks later (from, now I realise, a combination of antibiotics intolerance and infection).

I´m planning to introduce the 5 girls and Jet this weekend in their gigantic outside play pen (at least 40 square feet) and see how they go - fingers crossed but I´m optimistic. I´ve introduced 3 unrelated male boars before - I´m sure the girls will be fine!

Lisam - yes, I think the male still attempt to do the dirty - but produce no semen so it´s all good!

Sunny

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:28 am

I read the neutering page on Teresa´s site and it was very helpful. Sounds like white towels are the best way to go. But I´m having second thoughts about the neuter now. I might just get another boar and hope for the best.

cea2001

Post   » Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:45 am

I´m not sure of what your situation is - but I decided to get Jet done because he couldn´t live with his male companions - bloody fights. one left cowering and miserable - Jet is the most highly sexed piggie I´ve come across- So it was a matter of he´ll be happier with the girls and Pootle and Teddy will be much happier without him - but I still suffered a crisis of conscience.

He´s fine now though which is great. If you can get a baby boar that gets along with your boar, I wouldn´t worry about neutering. I´d only neuter if it means your boy can´t be with any other male