I have a few questions

kirbygirl

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:45 pm

I just got my first guinea pig on Thursday. It's kind of shy, but likes being petted. I have a few questions about her food. First of all, we bought timothy hay for her, but she won't eat it. Should I get Alfalfa hay instead? I heard that is good for young pigs and she is about 2 1/2 weeks old. Also, she didn't like the timothy pellots, so I got Vitakraft premium Menu, the main ingredients are oats, alfalfa meal, corn, barley, milo, diced carrots, pea flakes and on and on. Is this an okay substitute for the pellots? Because she has actually been eating these. So far she won't eat any veggies I offer her, is this because she is scared or should I try different veggies? What type of veggies do you guys feed your piggies?
~Leanne

DartsOfPleasure

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:50 pm

Yes, do give her some alfalfa hay. She is very young, so it should be good for her. Kale, Parsely, Ball peppers, romaine lettuce and carrots are a few of good veggies that you can feed her. Be patient with her since she is young. Soon she will be eating those veggies right out of your hand!

TheLoneTiel

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:51 pm

Two and a half weeks? Geeze. I know they eat on their own very soon after birth, but that sounds way too young to be removed from their mom, even if she isnt nursing them.

kirbygirl

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:55 pm

I don't know if that's her actual age, but that's what the person at the petstore said.

kirbygirl

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:30 pm

I'll have to try those veggies. Is alfalfa hay the best one to give young guinea pigs? Or is there one that is better? I heard that you can get alfalfa hay from a farm supply store, should I get it there or just go to the pet store? Do you think I should try giving her some timothy pellets in with the food that she will eat, and see if she'll eat them that way? Thanks for your help!

lisam

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:37 pm

What she really needs is a companion guinea pig that can show her the ropes, so to speak. Why not adopt a female buddy for her from a local rescue? Guinea pigs learn what's good to eat by watching other guinea pigs.

kirbygirl

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:57 pm

I think that would be a good thing to do. But I don't know if we have enough room for another. I'll have to ask my mom. Would I need to get a bigger cage if I got another? Do you know where I could find a rescue?

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:57 pm

Hi Kirby,

Hope you are enjoying your new pet!

When I first got Orvis, he was eating that mix food. Over about 3 weeks I gradually added more pellets and now he is all pellets, maybe that would work for your piggie.

I tried the hay from the pet store and then from Walmart but I found the hay from a feed store was much fresher.

Although it's true that piggies are herd animals, if this is your first one, you may want to just try the one for a bit and see how it goes before jumping in with another! I still have one, been about 3 months, and just thinking now after getting used to all the work for Orvis about a second one.

Have fun with your friend!

mooser

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:59 pm

Don't feed her the mix. It can be bad for them, stick to just plain alfalfa pellets. Oxbow makes a great pellet called Cavy Performance

www.oxbowhay.com

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:06 pm

You can make a big cage very cheaply following the directions at www.cavycages.com --if you bought a cage at the pet store, you should see if you can return it, and make her a better cage. Then you can look on www.petfinder.com for guinea pigs in your area. An adult sow or neutered boar would be the best companion for her, probably.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:09 pm

In addition, you're very close to kleenmama and could order hay and good pellets from her, very cheaply, at www.kmshayloft.com

Until you get Oxbow pellets or KM's Proform pellets, Kaytee Forti-Diet is a decent brand found in most pet stores.

She should get both grass hay and alfalfa. She needs the fiber from the grass hay (timothy, orchard grass, bluegrass, etc.)

kirbygirl

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:10 pm

I am enjoying her. She is so cute!

Okay, I'll have to try adding more pellets. There is a feed store near my house, so I'll see if they have the alfalfa hay, and try that too.

Yea, I was gonna stick with one for now and get used to all the care a guinea pig needs, then see if she would do better with a friend.

Oh, I was wondering if any of you guys had pigs that made these little cooing sounds, similar to the sounds pigeons make, and if that is a normal sound, or if something is wrong with her?

Thanks for your help!