I have a few questions

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:40 am

Just for my own piggies, to keep them - calm down people.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:42 am

I am really going out on a limb here but I don't see why if you have you own pggies and you are prepared to keep them and care for them, it's such a big deal to raise them yourself. I'll probably get hung in effigy now...but hey that's how I feel!

Bonnie

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:43 am

Bonnie

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:46 am

LER

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:47 am

Hi Orivs,
What about the known risks of pregnancy and delivery? What if your beloved sow died in the birth?

Plus, if you have room, time, and funds for 5 more pigs, why not adopt ones who are facing death in shelters rather than creating more?

And if you want to see babies grow up there are pleanty of pregnant sows facing death in shelters too.

There is always more to consider than the simply view, you see.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

I guess I just feel differently. I hope that we can all still get along...

I am kind of curious though why so many people on here have pigs having babies all the time - pics almost weekly - surprised they don't get 'the business' about it.

Bonnie

And then go look at Cavy Placement and justify your reason for wanting to breed.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

Bonnie

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:48 am

First the first time since I joined this board I am actually thinking "Where is Evangeline"?

Vanessa

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:50 am

One of the things that I really like about my pigs is their ecclectic mix. With the exception of my first pig, they are all adopted (Chip is from a pet store, before I knew any better). I have two Americans, one Abby, and one Peruvian. It just happened that way, when I went to the shelter I just chose the pig that I fell in love with the hardnest.

By adopting more pigs if you want a larger herd, you give a homeless piggy a new home, you don't put your current pigs health in danger, and you gain a lovely mix of breeds and personalities.

lisam

I am kind of curious though why so many people on here have pigs having babies all the time - pics almost weekly - surprised they don't get 'the business' about it.

Most of the people on here with pregnant sows bought guinea pigs from pet stores not knowing they were pregnant. Some have adopted or rescued pregnant sows. Some have pregnant sows because their pigs were missexed. But almost no one here condones breeding, or has bred their pigs purposefully.

Bonnie

Do you ever actually READ the threads on this board? Or just look at the pictures and say "awwww"? People have pregnant pigs because they have rescued them from idiots who bought male and female pigs from the pet store and dumped them at the shelters when they realized they were about to have more pigs.