Flying with pigs

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:49 pm

We had an adopter say she flew her pig from NC to CA on Delta. They allowed her to carry the pig in a carrier onboard with them.

Orvis
Power to the Pigs

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:20 am

LER good idea on them not noticing the multiple pigs - but what happens is when you have to go through the detector, you have to take your pets out of the carrier and walk through with them. They can't go through the X-ray machine. I don't know if the people at the gate would catch it, since they are usually not airline people. I'd like to know just in case. I am a consultant that travels from my home state to the client state every week. I usually have a corporate apartment, as I do now, and the husband drives out in the mini van after I get settled with the pets. But for various reasons in the past I have had to bring my cat numerous times on Delta.

JudiL-MetroGPRescue
Poop Obsessed

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:13 am

One of my adopters is flying America West to Phoenix from Maryland this weekend. And both pigs are allowed in a carrier with a health certificate. I sure hope it works out. He had like zero notice. Just found out yesterday morning that he is being transferred!!!

Judi L.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:13 pm

Wow, that's awesome. I'm going to end up driving mine.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:57 pm

"We had an adopter say she flew her pig from NC to CA on Delta. They allowed her to carry the pig in a carrier onboard with them."

To the best of my knowledge, Delta is the only major carrier left that will allow them onboard, in the cabin. If America West will do it too, that's good news.

Delta's rules are 1) FAA-approved carrier; 2) two to a carrier; 3) must fit under seat in front of you; 4) flat $75 fee. You have to take them out to walk through the x-ray machine.

For more details email Godotgonzales on this forum.

The problem with the heated and pressurized cargo area is that it's pitch dark and they are subject to extreme bumping and vibration that you're somewhat insulated from in the cabin. Plus they can get lost, just like your luggage.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:17 am

Here I am revisiting this issue yet again. The 5 feet of snow in the mountains of California is freaking me out.

I'm looking at this place as a possibility for shipping my animals. They claim to specialize in exotic animals. Has anybody ever heard of them? I'm so, so nervous about this. I'll never forgive myself if something happens to them. I'm moving three cats too.

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:21 am

All I know is this.

A friend of mine in high school got really interested in snakes, so he ordered some online. They used a "reputable" animal shipping service. The snakes arrived in a brown box in plastic disposable deli cups. This was considered normal.

~kat

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:26 am

That's how the small animals usually arrive in pet stores, packed tight in cardboard and styrofoam.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:52 am

Ugh! Well, I'm certainly going to be asking them a lot of questions when I talk to them on the phone...

This company is a member of the BBB, which is good, I think...

How do people get their animals to other countries when the move? Surely there's a good shipping place somewhere...?

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:06 am

Most times they dont take their animals. The best people place them in good homes, some in bad homes, some in shelters. Thats how that pig got to Castaic in the Placement Forum.

~kat

Pigglies

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:16 am

Those plastic snake containers I remember seeing at reptile shows as well. That way people could fit a lot of "product" on their table.

katk925
Do the Dewlap in '05

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:35 am

I remember seeing them in the deli filled with cole slaw so they could keep product fresh on their shelves. You think it would keep a guinea pig fresh?

~kat