Flying with pigs

lisam

Post   » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:58 pm

Don't forget candles and matches. I've heard they can warm up the inside of a car.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:38 am

Okay... I guess, I'm still looking into flying them. (Had a long talk with Sweet Boy last night.) Arg, this is going to drive me crazy! I'm going to talk to that company, but if they don't answer every question the way I'd expect from a "good, safe" shipper, then they're not getting my business...

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:32 pm

Okay... I talked to the guy from Global Animal Transport today. It sounds like a family-run business, but he's apparently been transporting animals since 1983 and "has never lost an animal". He'd be using one of the major US air carriers to ship the animals, and apparently has his contacts in layover city to take the animals in case of delayed flight or some such. He only uses carriers that he's established a relationship with and is confident that they'll take good care of the animals. He also says that if he has any reason to believe that the animals aren't safe, he *will* pull animals off a flight and have someone in his company hold them until he can arrange different transport. They provide guinea pigs with food I provide and drip water (which I guess means bottles or something similar), and I can send along extra food and such in case of any delay. He also tries to send them through warm locations, rather than risk layovers in Northern cities.

He's going to email me more detailed information. Any thoughts on this? He also arranges ground transport, but for as far as I'm going, he'd use air.

richardsdm
All for the Hogs

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:47 am

We drive stuff all over the US in all kinds of weather. This is what I would do: Give yourself extra time. Call people to get online and check the weather for you. Find a hotel chain (before you leave) that allows animals and keep your eyes out for them so you can stay for a day or two until the weather passes. Post your interinary here and see how many GLers are in your path and could put you and pigs up for the night.

Dirving in the winter just requires some extra planning and patience. I think it is tons safer than transporting through the air.

gotcavies
Supporter in '15

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:42 am

Chii,

Do you have spring clips for your water bottles? Many water bottle hangers won't work on carrier doors. I know from sending water bottle to the vet with the rabbits.

If you will send me an email with your mailing address, I'll slip one in the mail to you. It's a spring with a tiny clip on each end that clips securely to the cage. They will hold a wide variety of sizes of bottles. I might have some tiny ones if you are using a bottle under 16 ounces, so please let me know and I'll look. If you need more than one, let me know that also, I think I have a few new ones I could send if you needed them.

The clip holds a water bottle on very tightly, or it can be left on the cage for the water bottle to be slipped on for "watering breaks" so it's not hanging there dripping. (Good for leaving on the carrier for vet trips or for fastening to oddly shaped cages. We have even used them like tiny bungee cords for holding cage doors shut tight for escape hamsters.) They sell them from KW cages for about $.85 plus shipping. (2532 is the 4" model, 2528 is the 6" model in case anyone wants to buy some.)

anglaz

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:55 pm

I talked to the guy from Global Animal Transport today

Woah! That company has a location not too far from me! I found them while checking into getting my pigs to Hawaii if we move. I'd never even heard of them before, but thought it was ironic that these guys are right here in my own little suburb.

Britts15

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:58 pm

I know this thread is very very old but I didn't want to start a new one. I am moving out to Calgary from Ontario next May and want to bring my two pigsters with me. I was thinking about driving but I don't have a car and will most likely not have my full license so I can't rent. So I am thinking about flying but I am really worried about the airline restrictions now.
I will be flying with someone else, so that takes care of the only 1 animal rule. I was just wondering if anyone knew any airline that still lets people take GP in the cabin? I don't mind flying out of the states either. I know I am not moving for about 9 months but I want to get all the information ASAP.
Thanks!!

rshevin

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 pm

Delta is apparently the airline of choice for flying with pigs. They've never given me a problem. The flight attendants like to feed the piggies. :-)

Britts15

Post   » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 pm

Aw really? Thats cute. I think that is the way I will go, hopefully they fly into Calgary!

Bethie
Still supporting in 2014

Post   » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:53 am

When we're on the plane, the kids always say, 'Look! More piggy food." I'm feeling much better about moving with the boys when we have to go. We will most likely get to have them in the cabin with us. Yay!

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I am updating this because I've been asked so many times who I used to ship my pigs and cats when I moved from NC to Seattle. I could have sworn I posted the sites here, but only this thread is coming up.

For shipping the pigs, I used a company called Global Animal Transport. They specialize in transportation of exotic animals. (They do not ship dogs or cats.) They did a great job making all of the arrangements and everyone arrived safe and sound.
http://www.globalanimaltransport.com/

For my cats, I used a company called Pet Transporter Worldwide. Again, they did a great job and we had no problems.
http://www.pettransporter.com/contactus.htm

Both of these places use regular airlines for transport, but they do have specific airlines they prefer based on the pet shipping policies of the individual airlines.

I was able to ship all five of my pigs in one crate which had to meet very specific specifications (i.e., burlap covering all openings, a water bottle attached that can be removed for refill from the outside, an extra baggie of pellets taped down on top of the carrier). They were very good about telling me exactly what I needed to do to make sure everything met airline requirements.

Also, both companies have veterinary contacts in all of the cities that they fly animals through so that should anything happen or a flight get delayed, there is boarding and healthcare available.

The company that transported my pigs ensured that the pigs were sitting in the runway manager's office during their layover. It was very comforting to know that there was no chance of them sitting around on the runway for hours exposed to the hot/cold.

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to post them here and I'll answer as best I can. :)

GuineaPigFun

Post   » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:27 pm

http://www.petrelocation.com/ is a company that a client of my vet's had success with. She recently gave me the info to give to a person who adopted one of my pigs since she is returning to her home overseas this summer. She currently is awaiting a quote for her dog and her guinea pigs.