Air Purifiers for the GP Room

greysome

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:51 pm

I have an air purifier in my room since that's where the piggies are. I have a Blueair Purifier, which I absolutely love. During the day time, I have it at the highest setting which is probably akin to having a fan run on high but at night, I just put it down to the next lower setting which makes makes little to no noise. At it's lowest setting, I don't hear it. It's expensive upfront and the filters are as well (it takes three, which totals about $70 together) but the filters last half a year and I love how well the purifier works.

The bulk of my hay is stored in my closet where I have a GermGuardian Air Sanitizer/Odor Reducer plugged in all the time as well. It makes a huge difference!

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 am

You are replying to a read started in 2004.

I don't think the poster still needs help :)

brentpham

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:01 pm

Sorry for reopening the thread.
Is a blueair too expensive? About $500 and 1 year warranty but it can cover a large room for my pig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:06 pm

I would do a lot of research online and read lots of reviews. You should be able to find one you are satisfied with.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 pm

We use one of these (or at least one that looks similar to this I cant recall teh exact model). We didn't get it for the Guinea Pigs it was one we already had but moved it in to the room where they were when we were having a spate of breathing issues with them.

https://www.guardiantechnologies.com/ai ... dian.html/

DPickles

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:45 pm

I purchased an Oreck ionic air purifier off of a home shopping channel ten years ago. It didn't work at all so I don't think I'd ever buy another one. Have you tried oat hay? That's supposed to be pretty good for people with allergies and it causes the guinea pigs to chew more which is good for those molars. It is low in calories and calcium to boot. It is lower in protein too but it varies with when it is cut. I was afraid that it was high in calories because I mistakenly thought it was a treat not a staple. I keep hearing people talk bad about oats in guinea pig treats so should have looked it up. I have been having some eye issues since getting my piggies. I am hoping they have to do with insomnia and dry eye and not the piggies as the weather outside is frightful so forced to have the heat on all the time. My eye doctor thought it might be from muscle strain (all those heavy boxes of piggie goodies in the mail maybe...). I do wear computer reading glasses to help my eyes while online. I have radiant floor heat in my basement which is a nice choice but you don't get air circulation unless the furnace is on. The lady who had my girl piggies had to find a new home for them after developing a severe allergy to their hay or to them - they weren't sure which. They did use a combination of Oxbow timothy and Oxbow oat hay plus used fleece bedding with only paper shreds in the kitchen area. They did not use wood shavings which can trigger some people. I use kiln dried soft wood for my hamster and I didn't have a problem with him or his predecessor. I don't recall having problems with my former piggies either. So, I suppose getting an air filter would be an option if they help at all with eye problems. My husband says the kind that they put on the furnaces causes the furnaces to work harder and break down more often so no to that option.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Consumer Reports has an article on air purifiers. They mention a Blueair for $250. I would think you could also find an excellent HEPA purifier from another brand for much less than $500.

https://www.consumerreports.org/air-pur ... -not-need/

brentpham

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:30 am

[content removed - Lynx]I bought a GermGuardian with 5-year warranty seems to be a good investment. Also, the Hamilton Beach under $50 is also great for not costing me around $30-50 each year. Glad to share it with you guys.