Cavy/Human Communication

Leanne_and _Alan

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:22 am

Stewie will wheek for food when she think's it's feeding time or when someone makes a noise with a bag and then Chuck(rip 15/06/05) would start as well even though he didn't know what was going on.We used to keep then in the sitting room next to the kitchen and when someone was making a cup of tea they would start wheeking really load when they heard the spoon hitting the cup.I think it was because they knew you had to get the milk from the fridge,where the good stuff was kept.

We got a new guinea pig on sunday and we are slowly introducing her (Milly) to stewie.I put some hay from Stewie's cage into Milly's and she just wouldn't stop wheeking.We put them together this morning and they were chatting away like two old friend's.

Stewie is nearly 4 and Milly is only around 2 months.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:33 pm

The other day, Sullivan and Gilbert had eaten all of their lettuce, but the empty bowls were still in the cage. Sully saw me come down the stairs. He ran over to his bowl, looked at the bowl, made eye contact with me, looked back at the bowl, looked at me, back at the bowl, clearly trying to draw my attention to the empty bowl...then he ran a lap around the cage. He then went back to the bowl with enthusiasm. When he saw it was still empty, he looked really dejected, then looked up at me, back at his empty bowl, up at me, back at his empty bowl...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:39 am

Well. I HOPE you got the MESSAGE. All we are hearing from you is how hard poor Sully tried to get through.

We never found out if you caught on.

I trust you are trainable, no? Finally the light went on and you brought vegs instead of leaving poor Sully in despair?

mane3862

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:38 pm

The piggie I had several years ago used eye contact to confirm that I was ready to catch her... She would sit next to me, and if she got eye contact with me she would just jump straight up in the air towards me, counting on me to catch her! (She always wanted to sit high up with her head under my chin)
Needless to say, there were a few times I wouldn't think about that, and just make eye contact, and the next thing I knew I had a trusting pig in mid-air...

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:00 pm

We're relatively new owners and our pigs are young as well. The oldest, Oreo, was a school class pet. We began taking her home every night and returning her to school the next day because we couldn't stand the idea of her being left alone from 4 pm every day until 7:30 am the next morning. Once school ended for the year, she moved in permanently. She's about one year old and greets whomever is awake first in the morning with a very demanding, insistent wheek. I've been giving her carrots as a breakfast treat for awhile and now she simply demands them. She's our queen bee and conducts herself very regally, only condescending to be petted or held when SHE feels like it. She mothers our littles one, but maintains her distance from our adolescent (she mothered him, too until he got to be about 3 months old then went on the attack...we tried to wait it out, but it got too violent). She's gotten rather plump these past few months, but still manages to rise above the floor when she plays...we hate to laugh at her, but she looks so darned funny when she does that.

Nutmeg, the 41/2 month old hyperactive boar also wheeks for treats. When he's in a mood to be petted (which is more often than not), he'll run to the side of the cage and wait patiently for it. When he's feeling skittish, he runs into his tube and just watches. He's a very loud purrer and definitely shows his appreciation. He also popcorns so hard (in his cage) that he literally bounces off the walls. We give him lots of floor time so he can pop without hinderment.

Our new addition, Pandabear, is about 8-9 weeks old (we think) and is still undergoing his transition. He does purr ever so quietly when he's rubbed on his rump. I've heard him squeak once in the past week but he generally just stares at us. He's starting to recognize treats and will rush over for a piece of strawberry. Generally, however, he's still very shy. We don't know if this will be his temperament or whether it's due to the newness of the situation. He's very adventuresome and during floortime will run the perimeter of the room, checking out everything...but quietly.

I cannot imagine our lives without these wonderful creatures. All 3 are very content sitting in our laps (getting cuddling with lots of affection, kisses, and appreciative looks. Since my children are getting older (11 and 17), it's wonderful to have something small, warm, and cuddly to hold and love (not that I don't love my kids, but they're beyond the small, warm, and cuddly stage :-))

diodora

Post   » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:11 pm

I'm glad you retired Oreo from the classroom; public service can get tiring for these little ones.

cathmiller

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:58 pm

hmmm... wondering if anyone has thoughts on this. My two boys - Jack & Charlie - don't make any noise at all. they never Wheek and communicate to each other with little noises as they pass each other around their cage. they come running as soon as they see me to see if they are getting treats. which they usually are. i'm a sucker for their cute faces. but they don't wheek, or squeal. they bump noses and head butt the other on the rear when they want him to move.. they really and truly could win a prize for the quietest gp's on earth.

and i've had them checked... they are healthy. :)

Tammy

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:09 pm

My brother who is 22 often visits us on the the weekends from college. He'll cup one of the pigs in his hands, hold it up with his nose and say, "Do you remember uncle Jon? Nibble my nose if you do." Funny thing is, they do give his nose a nibble if he visits within 3 weeks. Any longer than a month and sometimes Marble will be upset and leave a dent on his nose.

cathmiller

Post   » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:28 pm

That is SO cute Tammy! Jack will lick my nose. When he comes out for snuggles and sleepies... he'll lay with his face to mine and occasionally feels very affectionate and licks my nose. he's the big suck of the pair. :)

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Rocky and I communicated well this morning. I needed a urine sample from him to take to the vet. So I set him in a plastic bin/box and wouldn't let him leave until he peed. I kept telling him I needed him to pee and that he couldn't leave until he did. After a while of being calm he suddenly started scrambling out of the box again. He was very insistent this time, so I picked him up and sure enough there was the pee I'd been asking for.

The conversation went something like this (with the appropriate censoring):
Me: Where are you going?
Rocky: Look in the bleeping box, lady! I've bleeped myself and now I'm soggy and I want back in my bleep cozy cuddle!

monique2

Post   » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:17 pm

A few years ago I tried the "mental communication" with your pet thing with one of my first pair. (was reading about pet telepaths on a website) Sitting in a dark, quiet room, letting my mind remain blank and receptive, being one with the chirping pig on my chest.

Suddenly I became aware of a strong emotion from her - the word "gratitude" just popped into my brain. It was very weird. Gave me goosebumps. I am normally so NOT New Agey. And I've never before told anyone about this.

daftscotslass

Post   » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:08 am

Bonnie has 3 distinct wheeks:

1 - Is that food I hear being made?
2 - GIVE ME FOOD I HEAR BEING MADE!
3 - Where did you go?

The third one I find quite distressing. She has never been alone. Every time I took Bracken out the cage she would wander round wheeking until Bracken was returned. Now I'm witnessing it a couple of times a day since I lost Bracken. Bracken slept in the cozy, Bonnie slept in the pigloo. Now, when she wanders out the pigloo into her cozy, she starts her sorrowful wheeking, as if it is realization dawning that she has gone. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.