Do You Want a Piggy Profiles Forum?

So, do you want some kind of profile forum for your pets?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:19 am

Yes!! Give us a Piggy Profile or Pig something forum!!
30%
No. Not my cup of tea at all. Just serious stuff. No profiles.
30%
Sure, profiles but stick them in the Cavy Chat forum.
40%
Sure, profiles but stick them in the Behavior forum.
No votes

Total votes: 20

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:19 am

Well, it has been suggested we need something similar to a Piggy Profiles forum, so I´ll stick up a poll and you can vote.

If the vote is overwhelmingly for, I would like submissions for a different name -- something with out the "Piggy" in it (more dignified).

And I would be looking for enforcers to move topics to the appropriate forum to keep it clean. I don´t want to do it.

So, feedback welcome -- tell me what you think.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:44 am

Oh please, God, no! Not again!

If you really have to have one, please put it in a separate forum so I don´t have to read them. I don´t deal well with the "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" and "ohhhhhhhhhhhh" after each post or picture.
Last edited by Evangeline on Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:33 pm

I have mixed feelings on this one.

I´m always interested to learn who members are and what pigs they have, especially since they don´t always keep the same user name from forum to forum. On the otherhand, I don´t want to wade through pages of cutesy baby talk and dozens of pictures of the same pig in different poses just to find out who´s who.

I have enjoyed some of the stories about past pigs, Seansfamily and Precious Pup etc. spring immediately to mind. If there´s no Profile forum I guess those would belong in Cavy Chat?

There is enough space in the member´s user profile to list information such as number, names and type of pigs. Perhaps members could be encouraged to introduce themselves there?

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:51 pm

I like Pigpal´s idea about using the member profile. As she said, that would be a good place to put number of pigs, names, etc. Any longer stories about new pigs could continue to go into Cavy Chat.

I very seldom visited the Piggy Profiles on CG, mainly because of the same reason Evangeline dislikes it. Too much cutesy stuff.

pigpal

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:56 pm

It´s a good idea, but it´s not mine! Lynx already set up the user profiles to include it. Take a look at mine, I just put the basics in mine, but there´s room in the additional text box for more info too.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:13 pm

Exactly what is a "Frond Fondler", Pigpal? I have to say, it conjures up some pretty wild images.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:28 pm

Do you have a fern fettish?

Teresa

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:33 pm

Another forum to ignore . . . Everybody has pigs. They are all cute. Done.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:39 pm

I have to admit, I was not reading all the Piggy Profiles on CG. Yes, they´re all cute. And most of us have pigs.

Alfie

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:45 pm

I liked reading some people´s profiles at CG but also found a lot of them overwhelmingly awwwwish and so generally ignored that forum. However, some stories (eg SF´s) were great and it would be nice to see them here.

I´m in favour of either (a) going with the simple user profile suggestion or (b) another profile forum with a rule that posts that just say ooooohhhh or ahhhhh are deleted. Oh, yeah, and the phrase "guinea pig bootie" should be banned. Aren´t I a cheery soul?
Last edited by Alfie on Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:48 pm

I agree with E; some pictures just don´t deserve all the "awws!"

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:49 pm

I could make it a post only, no reply forum. I think (but am not positive) that a post could still be edited by the author. Another alternative would be to encourage Seansfamily to write up an opus we could have a link to. I had originally envisioned the forum as a creative outlet vs. these are my pigs, this is what they look like. I think it´s the stories and twist that make them come alive.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:02 pm

CM´s is a no-reply forum, which seems to work fine. And the poster can edit the original as the herd changes.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:59 pm

But them you´ll have the idiots who can´t understand the concept of one post per member and Lynx will once again have to harass them. I say use your personal profile and forget about a forum.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:06 pm

I don´t think that many of the "idiots" migrated to this board. And there isn´t enough room in the profile to do anything.

Peter

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:43 pm

Well, we can always have a "trial period" or something.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:01 pm

For what? There was a profile forum on CG for the last two years. We know what it´s like.

pigpal

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:09 pm

Ferns are another of my interests.

I have a collection of about 45 different varieties of ferns and take perverse pleasure in trying to keep them flourishing in the less than hospitable climate of Northern California. My collection is not as large now as it once was. Alas, many of my oldest and biggest ferns were planted in the shady garden of our previous house and I had to leave them behind when we moved. The new owner particularly admired the yard, so it wasn´t as if I could just uproot them and leave a barren wasteland behind!

I brought many with me in pots and have started a new fern garden in the shade of a huge redwood in our front yard. There were already some nice native ferns growing among the rocks below the redwood, so I had a good start. I´m relieved to discover the deer aren´t at all interested in eating ferns, they go for flowers mostly, which are absent in all kinds of fern.

I greatly admire mosses too!

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:51 pm

E - so don´t read the forum. I never read the CG one(I did at the very beginning) but I admit I might read one here if the word "piggy" isn´t used. Not likely to run into itsy bitsy liddle widdle piggy wiggy talk here.

If people want to write about their pigs I think there should be one place all the profiles can be found.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:57 pm

I guess we´ll have to see how the vote goes. I sure have mixed feelings and never wanted a redo of what we had at CG. And I remember having to beg and plead with Jeff and get people to support the idea. Well, live and learn, I tell ya!

I do tend to agree with Pinta that it could be something positive here. I think this forum has a more adult taste to it (though people of all ages are welcome) and it is less likely to be misused.

Pigpal -- I like ferns too. And I love moss. The tulip poplar trees in Virginia have some sort of lichens growing on them that thrive in the cooler weather on the north/shaded side of the trunk. It gives them a nice mottled green appearance. We have some super moss around here too. I had to move a patch of mine -- there used to be a large area, super soft and pleasant to walk on. I think it has been too dry here the last few years which has hit the moss hard.

26 posts