How do you get a gp to eat a Vitamin C tablet?

caviesrfun

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:40 pm

How do you get a gp to eat a (quartered 25 mg) Vitamin C tablet? Do they like certain brands/flavors?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:15 pm

Truthfully, if they´re orange flavored, Steve will eat them like candy. Jules hates them. I try to make sure they have plenty of C in their food, esp. Jules.

A lady I pigsat for crushed up her tablets and sprinkled them on fav foods, like lettuce. You could try that, too.

caviesrfun

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I asked b/c my two new pigs, Houdini & Teddy, are feasting on alfalfa & timothy hay & seem to be much less interested in their Oxbow Cavy Performance pellets. I want to make sure they get enough C.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:39 pm

Another alternative would be liquid Vitamin C from a health store such as GNC. Liquid C can be given by syringe, directly into the mouth. This is probably the best way to be sure a particular pig is getting the full amount of C supplement.

I still prefer not to supplement as long as the pig is healthy and eating a varied diet, including plenty of high C veggies and fruits.
Last edited by pigpal on Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:44 pm

We feed a Timothy based diet that is heavy on the hay. I add some vitamin c powder to a piece of cucumber once a week for insurance. Some of my guys eat primarily hay and very little pellets. I do up the C intake for sick piggies.

Mine love most of the high Vit C veggies, especially red bell pepper. Parsley, Cilantro and Dandelion greens are very popular as well. It´s healthier and cheaper to supplement with the fresh veggies.

The most popular C for my guys has been the Safeway Generic childrens chewable C. Oxbow C treats went over here like a lead baloon but many pigs seem to like those.

Like people, they each have their own likes and dislikes.

I had a Houdini pig. Is yours an escape artist?

lisam

Post   » Tue Aug 27, 2002 5:18 pm

Hey! I have a Houdini horse! He used to be an escape artist--he would lie down and roll under the fence. Now he is much too fat.

My pigs love the acerola vit. C chewables from Fred Meyer.

Jen88

Post   » Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:32 pm

My pig LOVES her vitamin drops- we get the orange or vanilla flavored yogurt drops by the VitaKraft company, but I´ve seen many other brands and different flavors. Just as we had to do with Pheobe, keep experimenting and if nothing works with it just give it more veggies for added Vit C.
Hope this helps

caviesrfun

Post   » Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:58 pm

Thanks everyone. I gave my boys kale for the 1st time last night & they seemed to enjoy it. I loved feeding my 1st pig Peanut his veggies & didn´t supplement his diet with vitamin C & he lived about 7 years.

To Lisam & Julian: Yes, Houdini is an escape artist. Before I built my C & C cage I had him in a plastic store-bought cage with a wire cage perimeter similar to the cubes & he twice climbed out of the plastic part. Fortunately, he didn´t get too far b/c the wire part kept him fenced in. While I was working on the corroplast part of the new cage I let him run around in the cube part & he snuck through one of the wire grids. He also went through a cardboard toilet paper tube. As you can see, he is aptly named!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:13 pm

Houdini is a popular nickname. My pig Nina had it for a while. Shortly after I got her, I had to give her a course of baytril. Getting meds into that girl was murder! I essentially had to clamp her head so she couldn´t get away.

Yogurt drops aren´t too popular around here. Most people believe they have too much sugar and are not a good treat for cavies, even though some of them are marketed for gps.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1