Big Black Mama stays, and little black Abby too

pigpal

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:52 pm

I ended up fostering a total of 23 pigs from the Hollister rescue. They were all adorable in their own way and it broke my heart to see each one leave. I would have liked to keep them all.

Yesterday the last four remaining babies, from Big Black Mama´s litter, went off to their new homes. They were extra special, though they didn´t look like much - no glamorous fluffy coats or colorful markings. Just four insignificant little dark Americans. I spent countless hours handfeeding the littlest ones to keep them alive when it became apparent they were unable to nurse. As a result they were so friendly and outgoing they were a joy to be with. Three of the seven babies didn´t make it, and I must have cried several rivers over them.

When it came time to say goodbye to Big Black Mama, I just couldn´t do it. She is so timid and shy, and has been through so much. I simply couldn´t let her go through yet another terrifying upheaval. So, she will be staying with me, and will be my very first permanent resident sow. I hope she will become friends with Harry, my neutered male, so they can share a pen.

Her new name is "Lulu", after the character in the film starring Isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu.

Another Hollister refugee snuck his way into my heart too. A little black Abby boy, yet to be named, maybe "Bird".

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:06 pm

Jackie, I am so happy for you that Lulu is staying. And the little guy too! Is the boar one of your fosters? Some piggies sure have a way of finding a soft spot in our hears and putting down roots.

I have 3 of my fosters that I just can´t part with. My huband had 2 he had to keep... I had 2 I had to keep. One of the pigs we both agreed on! So, his 2 plus my 2 minus the on in common makes 3 we are keeping! I started the summer with 4! Then came Matilda, the grey agouti. Now these gals. Now we have 8! I guess there´s always room for one more!

PP... it´s a good thing we don´t do rescue! Can you imagine the herd we would have! Lulu is a special gal. I remember moving her from her awful cage to her new cage at Hollister. She is a lucky gal to have found her way to you.

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:08 pm

So that brings your total to five pigs? I bet the Voice of Reason is happy.

I´m sure each and every one was special and sweet, whatever its color or markings. That´s not what counts. I bet letting the runts go was especially hard for you since you spent so much time with them.

You did good, Pigpal. Mission accomplished. Now, you need to take time for yourself before we need to rescue you, too. Enjoy those pigs, now.

Teresa

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:28 pm

Yes, definitely enjoy them. I really hope they are sooo happy together.

I have to relate a little story today. Karen brought over her two babies that were ready to go. One little TSW female, just 4 weeks old and an abby boy. I made a 2x4 grid cage for the 3 boys I got last night from Peg´s foster mom and added Karen´s abby boy. They are doing great.

Where to put the little girl?? Lots of options here, really. Well, I decided to try her with the Lucies and Ralphy. At first, all was well, Ralphy was quite happy, popping and all. Well, she´s just too little to bother humping yet, so she´s just a little pal. Then Little Lucy, who is 2nd in command (Ralphy´s 3rd actually), decided she was going to put the new little girl in her place, doesn´t matter she´s so little. Anyway, she starts nipping and chasing her around. The little girl runs into the big house. Ralphy wheeked, and went charging at full tilt, ran into the house with the little girl, reached out and nipped a bit at Little Lucy--something he normally never does, and was totally guarding the entrance and laid down with her comletely protected. Oh my gosh, it was just too cute.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:03 pm

Awww, that Ralphy, he´s all heart!

Actually, I still only have four pigs. Monty, the beige/faded chocolate Abby from Teresa´s just didn´t work out. He turned out to be totally obnoxious when I tried to integrate him with my existing pigs. He managed to piss off not only William and Harry, but me too. Poor Willie ended up with bites all over his butt and as I haven´t been around much this summer, I never really bonded with Monty. He´s now back at Teresa´s, has been neutered and has a delightful girlfriend. They are awaiting the perfect person to adopt them together.

Note: Monty´s sister, Dervish, who also has an attitude, is now plying her wiles at Pinta´s. The resident pigs seem totally unimpressed with her antics.

Piggiddy

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:09 pm

That all sounds great! I adopted out two of the sows from the first train today. I was so happy for them, but kind of hurt in a way. It was kind of sad in a way. But they have been here for a while and really deserve great slaves. These people found me through a dog rescue. My name is on the rescue list here.

Anyway, I am keeping Rufus (the big "baby") from the Hollister bunch and I couldn´t be happier! He is a wonderful pig! I could never bear to let him go anywhere! It is good to hear that these pigs have wonderful spoiled piggy homes! LOL!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:44 pm

What a great thread. So nice to hear good news about happy families and loved pigs. And I´m glad you have two new pigs too, Pigpal.

Ain´t pigs sweet?

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:59 pm

I know just how you feel, pigpal. I also have a pig that was supposed to "move on", but I just could not let her go. Actually, I have two of those. I just felt I OWED it to the one black sow to give her a home until the day she died. She had been through so much already.
Congrats!!

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:55 pm

This is exactly why I can never foster.

PP, if the Voice of Reason kicks you out, you, the kid, Oreo and all the pigs can come live here!

So glad you have Lulu and Birdy.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:07 am

"four dark insignificant american"

Sounds like my house! I think I´m the one person I´ve seen around with 4 black american pigs that only I can tell apart!

Glad to hear LuLu and Birdy get to stay in a special home! Guinea pigs are wonderful, everyone should appriciate them as much as we do!