Another sorry tale

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:37 pm

>>I have a feeling you won&acute;t be looking for many homes...<<

Well, let&acute;s just say I may not be looking very HARD.

I think at this point Pinta is full up. Plus, I have already contributed to her herd about 5 times.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:26 pm

mental illness is truly a shame...lots of suffering

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:07 pm

Like I said, before you know it they&acute;ll be 50!

pigpal

Post   » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:16 pm

Progress report - the PHS pigs have finally been released to rescue! BIG sigh of relief.

I&acute;m planning to drive them north to meet Kleenmama on Saturday, so they can start their new life in Washington state. One of the sows gave birth last weekend to two adorable cream and white babies (one American and one Abyssinian).

Now, I just have to find a van to hold them all. . . where there&acute;s a will there&acute;s a way!

pinta

Post   » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:26 pm

That&acute;s so great to hear. I know they&acute;ll be in great hands with Kleenmama. And no, I&acute;m full up. Don&acute;t even think about it.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:44 pm

(Thinking HARD) he he he he

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:45 am

Great news!
Pigpal, I think you&acute;re fantastic!

pigpal

Post   » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:10 pm

Well, I&acute;m truly making the ultimate sacrifice for these pigs. I&acute;m going to drive (wince) a mini-van!

pinta

Post   » Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:20 pm

Ouch.

Becky

Post   » Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:26 pm

Gee, no SUV&acute;s available?

And I&acute;d agree...PP is fantastic.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:40 pm

Now, now. I&acute;ll also be driving a minivan since the grandpa car I currently drive cannot haul 39 pigs.
Really, I thought I would hate the van, but truly, I could haul everything in it, it got great gas mileage, and it drove like a car. Even though I hated the look, it was the most efficient and practical vehicle I have owned.

lisam

Post   » Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:27 pm

You bet! I can get more in my minivan than in my Suburban. I haul hay, grain, trees, kids, bikes, etc...

I haven&acute;t hauled more than two pigs at a time, however.

ladyveg

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:55 am

We purposely traded in a Dodge Shadow for a minivan because of the pigs. I can haul 15 bags of bedding, or 5 full bales of hay, or 22 pigs complete with carriers and cages. If I had only had my Saturn the day I went to the shelter that had the 22 pigs, the pigs that didn&acute;t fit in the car would have been euthanized that same day, and the shelter was 2 1/2 hours from my house. I&acute;m glad I have a minivan!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:21 am

A minivan (corrected a typo -- "minivat") used to be one of my dream cars. Currently happy with my bitty wagon -- can get lots in but not anywhere near as much as a minivan and it appeals to my frugality (less gas).

I think minivans wear well on practical women. It is the guys who are ashamed to be caught dead in them.

Teresa

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:17 am

Well, Pigpal should be about to hit the road this morning with all pigs on board. They&acute;ve all got fairly cush digs for their trip to the Great Northwest, but once again, it&acute;s pigs packed creatively to the gills in the vehicle.

There are some really, really cute ones heading up to you Kleenmama. Amazing difference from the day they first arrived. One newly beat up boar will need some special attention, but he should be fine with good care.

You can tell she&acute;s been through this pig-packing routine before! She had it down to a science for this one!

Safe wishes on her trip up there today and may no one deliver on board!

Becky

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:54 pm

Good wishes from all of us, I&acute;m sure. I wonder what music she&acute;ll play for them on the way?

LV, even that monster "cage" someone gave you when we were in Madison fit in your minivan! I would say for you, there really aren&acute;t many other options!

Actually, my VW bug can haul the coroplast from a 2X5 C&C cage!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2002 5:34 pm

Becky... do you roll it?

PP... our traveling thoughts are with you and the pigs! I&acute;m so glad they are doing better. I&acute;m sure they are well on their way to being spoiled!

bats

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:19 pm

I was witness to Becky&acute;s coroplast-in-a-bug. She&acute;s not kidding: a 2x5 with 6 inch sides fit in a VW, barely.

It fit from the front windshield to the back latch with no room to spare. And side-to-side, it went from the passenger door to the driver&acute;s seat with a modest amount of bending and tilting. And she still had room to add 3 big pig houses, 5 shopping bags full of supplies, and a box with 3 guinea pigs.

Just remember, we&acute;re talking about a woman who packed 30 cages into an RV, along with 3 other people and a dog here. Becky rocks!
Last edited by bats on Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:32 pm

I think you should have seen my son and I driving to Virginia Tech with a mattress on our heads.

I had the bright idea it would be safer to travel with it in side the bitty station wagon (Civic) and of course the only way that would work was if it sat on our heads.

Very uncomfortable -- poor visibility and one close call.

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:14 am

Gee, Lynx, that gives a whole new meaning to the term, "bed head."

Bats, that was rocks in the head, right?
Last edited by Becky on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

138 posts