Boar cleaning

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:00 pm

Okay, I´ve read the stuff on guinealynx, and have also had the experience twice now of attempting to clean out an impacted boar. Now I want real life experiences.

Do you wear gloves? You must, because I still can´t get that smell off my hands.

Do you "dig" out poop with the Q-tip?

Are you able to completely clean out all the poop?

Have you ever come across a kind of "string" of whitish material?

Do you end up supplementing these boars with vit. B?

Have you found that certain diets seem to cause more impactions?

How often are you cleaning out these impacted boars?

Have you had any boars who became impacted so much that you had them nuetered?

*I wasn´t sure whether to put this here or on the medical forum, if you think it belongs there, could you please move it, Lynx?

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:41 pm

Gloves- You betcha!

Smell- Ghastly!!!!!

It depends how often on the boar. My older guys, who get impacted, seem to need it more often. A high hay concentration in the diet seems to help. I guess it would be the fiber.

I think some are just pre-disposed to getting it. I´ve had older boars than needed almost daily cleaning out. This was usually toward the end of their lives and they had a few other health issues.. Some never develop it at all.

The Hollister boys I cleaned out could not be cleaned out in 1 try. I´m sure it was a hygeine , anatomy and food issue with them. I used KY jelly and mineral oil over a couple of days to work the hardness out. Warm water butt soaks help as well You want to be very careful. If it is hard as you could tear sensitive anal tissue if it is really stuck and it usually is.. I use my gloved finger to gently massage the tissue from the putrid matter.

I don´t supplement, but I do hide a healthy poop in a treat for them after cleaning out.

Of my 26, 20 are boars. Many "dumps" I´ve fostered have had impactation issues. I´ve done more than my share of clean outs. It´s like diapers, you sort of get used to it but wish you´d never have to do another one.

Got a remedy for stinky Dog farts?????
Last edited by Julian on Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:45 pm

Dog farts? A better diet. Cheap foods are made of corn meal (as a first ingredient) and it doesn´t agree with dogs.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:49 pm

Here is fine. Looks like you found your expert, Lisam!
I understand lots of hay helps move things along but when they lose their elasticity, they lose it.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:53 pm

The rescue had him on a Iams- way too high in filler. I am very seriously thinking of that raw whole food diet. The smell is really, really ,really, NASTY coming from such a cute little guy.!

I´d do a boar clean out any day.

I switched him to a high quality, protein based senior food today. If it doesn´t work SOON, I´m wearing a gas mask. That would really freak the poor Monterey pigs out!

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:15 pm

this is a subject I´m not looking forward to! My
´teenage´ boar refuses to sit still, I hope he calms down a tad before he gets older!

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:51 pm

Thanks, Julian!

The boar in question is my sister´s 4 year old boy. I thought he was starting to look like he was losing condition--kind of scruffy. I took a look at his bottom, and boy! What a plug! I cleaned him that day (a week ago), and then yesterday really quick just "popped" some out (no time for boar cleaning then), and today did a really good cleaning. The trouble is that he lives with my sister, and while they love him and really do a good job of caring for him and his cage mate, they are all pretty squeamish about stuff like this. So I guess I will have to stop over there a few times a week. Luckily it is only 5 minutes away.

Funny about the dog farts. My husband used to have real smelly ones (more information than you needed?) until he started on the Atkin´s diet. He basically just eats meat and cheese and some veggies. What a change--no more smelly ones (unless he goes off the diet for awhile).

lisam

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:53 pm

Good thing my husband is out of town--I don´t think he would like being compared to an old dog! (Speaking of my husband, he is on tv right now, on speedvision, racing car #14)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:44 pm

I hope your sister can get over this. Does she have kids? She really should be responsible for her own pet. I wonder if you could suggest she take him in to a vet regularly and she can see the wisdom of doing it herself instead.

One does get used to it I hear.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:03 pm

OK, I have a question also.
I´ve been worried about perhaps Ollie was impacted, as he had a bit of shaving stuck in his bum and when I pulled it out, there was lots of sticky white extremely gross smelling stuff.
I checked all four boars, they all have the same type of stuff. Their are plenty of normal poops in all the cages. How can you tell if your pig is impacted? Do they quit pooping altogether? Or is this white sticky goop normal? There was also some unformed poopy material mixed in with the white stuff.

God, I hope no one is eating while reading this.....

Becky

Post   » Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:40 pm

Once again...THIS is why I have sows!!!!!

Boys are just plain nasty!!!!

(Waiting for Leebee to set me straight)

leebee

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:12 am

Aww, but they´re so CUTE! I adore my boys - such little characters!

Besides, you got practice with the Hollister boys - you´re ready for a big, stinky boar! And if he was yours, you wouldn´t even have to clean him in your car!! How extravagant!

I have two older, neutered boars who I haven´t had a problem with yet, but I definitely got major experience with the Hollister boars. My other three boars are still young. Cleaning them out doesn´t bother me that much. I think it depends on the individual person, and their level of squeamishness. It is gross, but you just have to suck up and do it.

Having a guy like Jim around to assist helps out even more - I´m surprised Bats doesn´t have boars! (And of course, Becky was more than helpful as well!)

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:31 am

Bats doesn´t like competition.

They certainly are cute. And if I had to, I´m sure I could clean one out on a regular basis (no worse than subcues every other day), but Yewwwwww! And I´m not at all squeamish. Just not into CHOOSING to do gross things!

Leebee, do you think being neutered helps with the impaction?

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:36 am

Becky... this is exactly why Thumper never found his furry butt in my house! Believe me, however, I was sure tempted. lb... yes, alas, they are darling!!!!!!!

I think I´ll stick to my bevy of beauties.

leebee

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:56 am

You know you want Reggie, Kara! And I´d choose to do gross stuff every hour with my guys, they´re more than worth it! Not that my sows aren´t, but there´s something about boars characters that I just really like.

To be quite honest Becky, I´m not sure because I´ve only ever had older neutered boars. I do remember talking to Teresa about it and she seemed to think it did. Of course, having an excellent diet and all the hay they can eat certainly help, and all the pigs Teresa adopts out have that, so you never can tell. I´m just glad my boars are ok, so far, neutered or not.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:18 am

Yes! That day we had the cleaning party at T´s... you know BEFORE Hollister... I told her that if I had boars, I would have put Reg in my pocket and Thumper in my purse and drove off!! That´s before you even had him! The boars are nifty. I like their "heft"! Thumper just felt like a whole lot of lovin"! I want a big 3 1/2 pounder some day. At least I know where to get them. Right, T?!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:48 am

Yes, neutering means the likelihood of impaction is much less. I think some people claim a neutered boar won´t get impacted.

KM, do the pics and/or description on the impaction page help at all? www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/impaction.html

Supposedly you can feel a hardness in the area if they are.

archichik

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 11:13 am

I´m glad that this came up. We´ve cleaned Cecil out twice. I am so afraid of hurting him. Do you use a q-tip and kind of work it out? Or do you manually try to manipulate it out? The butt soak is definitely helpful! Cecil is due for another cleaning this weekend. My husband refers to it as a "butt-icure". He´s so funny....

Sunny

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:52 pm

Lisam said, "Have you ever come across a kind of "string" of whitish material?

Yes, I have. I described it as rubber cement consistency. Someone said it was likely a semen plug. It was thin and long about 2 inches long.

archichik - use the q-tip with mineral oil to loosen anything stuck then yes, kind of work it out. I´ve never used a finger... it seems to me that would be worse for the pig (fat fingers with long fingernails poking in his bottom).

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:06 pm

The pictures helped, I think. The last one is very small, though. Thanks Lynx!

40 posts