Boar cleaning

Cara

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:12 pm

I had a neutered boar, Pete, and he still got impacted from time to time. I called him non-pooping Pete b/c when he came to me he was always impacted. Timothy hay all the time helped greatly. So did exercise. I think sharing the same floor space as the ladies did something because he´s mark his scent and poop more. Who knows.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:26 pm

KM, you can click on three of the pics to make them bigger. The one you can´t click on is full size already (I thought it was the best one).

sjj92

Post   » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:35 pm

What age do your gps have to be to nueter them?

cea2001

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:01 am

sjj92 - have a look at http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm

Tells you all you need to know!

My own question - how DO you tell if your boar is impacted? I´ve never once cleaned out my five boys and I´m wondering if I´m missing something. They don´t feel as if there´s something stuck down there and they all get ten tons of veggies every day plus constant hay. Despite being in close proximity to the girls they don´t seem to scent a lot (except Jet who is neutered and actually lives with the girls - but he mostly just rumbles).

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:54 am

You could do an exam per www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

lisam

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:22 am

cea2001, it was very obvious that my sister´s boar was. My first clue was just looking at him sitting in his cage--he looked scruffy. His hair kind of stood out all over the place. I picked him up, and could actually see a plug of poop sticking out. I don´t know if this is typical, I think he had just got pretty bad before anyone noticed.

I check my two boars all the time, they look nothing like my sis´s old guy. Mine are relatively young.

Sunny

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:44 am

cea2001, the way I discovered Spot was impacted was that he dropped a big round (not pellet like) waxy ball of poo. It was about 3/4" in diameter. Like a big marble.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:57 pm

My Peruvian, William, gets debris in his pouch all the time. I wouldn´t call it impacted as such, as he still poops normally, but it must be very uncomfortable for him so I clean it out with a Q tip and warm water. Pieces of Carefresh and short stalks of hay are particularly bad for getting lodged in there.

I usually notice he needs cleaning out when his poops get a little smellier than usual, or I see some bedding sticking out.

The white creamy substance in the cecal pouch is quite normal and should not be removed, it helps lubricate the pouch and assists easy passage of poops.

The white stringy (rice noodle) things are also quite normal for healthy boars. They are seminal plugs and can sometimes be discovered in all sorts of odd places! Yuck! The first time I found one I put in a baggy and took it to my vet, thinking it was a parasite of some kind. We both had a good laugh over it when we figured out what it was.

sjj92

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:02 pm

Funny! Is it normal to have to clean out a boar´s bottom?

pigpal

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:05 pm

Some need to be cleaned out, others don´t. Some boars develop the tendency to become impacted as they grow older and their muscles in this area become slack.

Becky

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:37 pm

OK, I have what probably is a really dumb question. In fact, I probably should ask Leebee, my boar expert. Now that I have a boy around the house, I have to start paying attention to all this gross stuff!

If the boar is neutered, do they still produce seminal fluid? Are there seminal plugs involved?

And, I might add, Leebee PROMISED me my neutered boar won´t get impacted. Now that I could bear to part with him, am I going to find out this was an evil LIE!!??

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:49 pm

Leebee should be right. That´s what I heard too.

I also heard that a neutered boar will become your devoted pet and adore you ´til his dying days (so long as you feed him well).

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:59 pm

Not so fast - neutered boars can get impacted too. Maybe not to the same degree or at as high a rate as intact boars but I have had at least one guy who needed a cleaning every few days when he reached 5 years of age.

Becky

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:31 pm

Oy!

So, what about the fluids, seminal, that is?

pinta

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:39 pm

Vey!

I don´t believe that is a problem. Certainly hasn´t leaped out at me although I´ve seen the urethral plug. Was probably from an intact boar waiting to be neutered. Can´t really remember the details.

Definitely there is no extra stink, but I never noticed my intact boars stinking anyway.

Becky

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:55 pm

I guess I´m asking because, although Chippy has been "refusing" the advances of King Elvis, I noticed the other night when I was weighing her that she had a whitish, globby substance covering her "parts."

Thought maybe she graced him with her tolerance.

No, I haven´t noticed any stink at all with the King.

sjj92

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:43 am

Thanks, PigPal. (Clever name)

sjj92

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:44 pm

Thanks for the website, cea2001 , that really helped me. Oh I have one more question, If you wanted to spay a sow what age would she have to be? (Same age than nuetering, older, younger?)

sjj92

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:45 pm

Sorry I didn´t reply back quick.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:29 pm

Spaying is much more risky. It is usually only done for health reasons like cystic ovaries.

I don´t know what the optimal age would be. Only that any surgery is risky -- and several people lately lost boars to neuters (complications).

40 posts