Corn husks!

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:29 am

I like to have a taste of everything my piggies eat. I´d never tried corn husks, though. Tonight as they were all fighting over them I decided to take a taste. Very sweet! No wonder they love them! Does anyone know if they have a lot of starch in them, too?

--------------

OK, before anyone beats me to it, not EVERYTHING my piggies like to eat!
Last edited by Becky on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:09 am

Have you tried the corn silks? They´re very sweet too. All I remember doing was trying to find out if they were high in calcium -- and they appear not to be.

Sunny

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:36 am

Yes, they are very sweet. Isn´t that where corn syrup comes from?

My pigs love corn on the cob, husk and all. Does anyone know if it´s good for them or if it should be treated like fruit (a.k.a, candy)?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:53 am

I think the corn itself might be given on a more limited basis but the husks and silks when you can get them. I believe the corn is the most starchy and least desirable.

At least that´s the impression I have.

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:32 am

From what I understand, it´s not good to give piggies too much starchy foods. I know the corn itself isn´t too good for them. That´s why I was wondering about the husks themselves.

If they´re that sweet, seems like they´re probably pretty starchy as well. But then again, what do I know?!?

cathystev

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:58 pm

Someone told me they feed their pigs banana and orange peel. Are these good for them? Is there any vit C in the orange peel?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:33 pm

Have you ever eaten banana or orange peel? Gives me the willies just thinking of it (hate ripe bananas and the bitter peel would be awful).

Becky, I think the husks are more like grass -- the starch mainly in the kernels.

lisam

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:51 pm

I like orange peels. I haven´t tried a banana peel, probably since I am allergic to bananas.

Lynx, I think you are right about the husks. Corn is in the grass family, so it makes sense.

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:18 pm

So, Lynx, what is it you don´t like about ripe bananas? Is it the texture? I think many food likes and dislikes have to do with texture more than taste.

Peels? No thanks. Banana peels are really bitter, as are orange peels. My piggies eat a tiny bit of orange peel and I don´t give them banana peels. Doesn´t it cause constipation or something?

Good to hear about the husks! Party on, piggies!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:28 pm

Orange peels are part of the ingredients in fire crackers. I juice vegetables and fruit quite a bit and I´ve read in many juice books that mammals can´t digest the orange peel. Just so you know the white stuff on the orange has most if not all the vitamins and good stuff so be sure to give that to your pigs if they like it.

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:35 pm

And fire crackers are wonderful alcholic beverages?!? How does one make them?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:52 pm

take three orange peels and some gun powder and blend together. Does wonders for relieving constipation in pigs.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:14 pm

Ripe bananas? They reek!! It´s the whole stinky smelly mess -- awful texture, terrible taste and smell horrible.

The only thing worse is fake banana flavor.

purrie

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:23 pm

Orange peels have most of the Vit. C found in oranges.

My girls LOVE slightly green bananas - if they smell me eating one, they will beg and beg for a bite. Phoebe loves the peels too.

If the corn is sweet tasting, then there is mostly sugar. If it is bland tasting then the sugar has turned to starch. The older the corn gets, the more of the sugar turns to starch. The reverse happens to potatoes when you put them in the ´fridge.
Last edited by purrie on Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:35 pm

Lynx, is it safe to say you don´t make much banana bread? The bananas need to be exactly as you describe them to make the best bread.

Holly, sounds like something I need to give my husband on occassion.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:00 am

Purrie.. Like I said, it´s the white stuff on the peels. Not the peels themselves. It´s easy to cut off without devastating your pig´s stomach.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:10 am

Well, when bananas reach that state of decomposition, the only thing a person can do is put them out of their misery by cooking something like banana bread. Changes the qualities and kind of hides them if you have enough other ingredients. Oh, and buzzing up some ripe bananas in orange juice seems tolerable too.

Kat

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 8:15 pm

A little while ago, I did a presentation on the Incas for one of my history classes. Trying to milk all the marks I could, I took in the guinea pigs and a whole lot of vegetables that the Incas used. After the presentation I fed the corn to the guinea pigs, and they hacked into it like nothing else. The class spent half of the lesson staring at the guinea pigs eating the corn.
Btw -- my pigs love banana peel, but they won´t touch the inside.

tabby

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:05 am

Are the corn husks cooked or raw. Mine dont like raw corn on the cob. Never tried them with the husks or silks though, cooked or uncooked. Time to go shopping!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:24 am

We give raw corn husks and corn silk.

25 posts