8 is ENOUGH!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:13 pm

Well, we finally merged the 5 Divas with the 3 nine week-old pups. And, I must add, it happened without one rumblestrut, no teeth chattering, no humping and no "yawning" ... you know... look at my teeth... aren´t I scary?! There was a minimal amout of butt sniffing and that was it. None of them cared about the whole merger.

We now have a cage that is officially bigger than our couch!! It is a 3X3 that goes to a 2X3 and it has a 2X2 loft. I think it is around 20 square feet. Quite a bit in an 1190 square foot home!

It looks so funny to see the babies in that big cage and to see all 8 of them together. I have to keep counting to see who is where and to make sure they are all in the cage. Of course, where else would they be??!! Anyway, we are back to one cage. Nevermind that it is huge! Took 1 1/2 bags of CF. I think these pigs are quite spoiled.

Here´s the pig count... all sows:

Penny: Self-red American/Sheltie, about 1 1/2 years
Tubbit: Cream and white American, about 1/12 years
Lilly: Self-black American, born April 15, 2001
Ginger: Golden Agouti and white Peruvian, about 6 months (She´s the beauty at the top of the page)
Tilly: Silver Agouti American/Sheltie, born June 9, 2002
Daisy Mae: PEW Abby, born July 22, 2002
Poppy: Cream and white Abby, born July 22, 2002
Beatrice: Tortishell American, born July 23, 2002

OK... E... how´d I do?!

Becky

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:43 pm

KK, if times get tough, you can always rent out the pig palace to college students or ex-dot commers. Probably bigger than many apartments in the Bay area.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:51 pm

No doubt!

Only you guys on the forum could truly apperciate it! My friends just think I´m nuts.

Jeff

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:11 am

That´s a lot of bedding!!! You may want to consider switching heavily used areas to towels that you change daily. While you spend 30 seconds a day changing the towels, you save a bundle on bedding and the cage doesn´t stink up as fast. I can´t wait until I go through college and get a stable job so I can have mucho piggies myself.

KarasKavies

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:49 am

Yes, the bedding is always an issue. BUT... there is a great place here we get the big CF bag for only $8.00. Makes it a little easier on the budget. I´ve done towels etc. Nothing is perfect!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:57 am

Yes, nothing is perfect.

Ya know, I think Teresa will have to add a section on housing additions made of corroplast. It´s obvious you could use a new room. And Teresa can do anything with cubes and corroplast...

Zoe

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:13 pm

Kara: Where do you get CF for $8.00? I need to get some myself... Also need more of that aspen shaving stuff... It will give me an excuse to drive way out to the Teresa area and see how my foster babies are doing. I miss them so much, but I have no room for them to grow up happy here.

I know about "officially bigger than the couch..." I got rid of my couch a long time ago to make room for better and better pig palaces. My cage set up is now much bigger than the couch.

Still wondering about hanging onto the last foster baby... 6 is the limit. The trouble here is that I have 3 aggressive pigs and 3 nice ones. If the baby gets along with Petunia.... eventually, then everyone will have company and plenty of space.

The baby had a UTI... She seems so much better since I started syringing extra water into her! YEAH!!

Magnolia´s foot is doing so much better thanks to the NEW SKIN Wound & Blister Dressing.. Perfect bumble foot wound dressing. Still gross and big though...

My boyfriend keeps claiming that I once promised I would never go past 4 pigs... but I went double decker with my fancy IKEA table/shelf set up which gave me plenty of room for one more huge cage below (pulls out, I put rollers on the bottom)... and I don´t remember ever using the words "I promise..." He looked at me yesterday while I was kissing Magnolia and said, "Oh God, you ARE turning into a pig lady..." Turning??? Bwhaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha...

6 is enough....

I am jealous that you have gotten a bunch of pigs that can hang out together. Sweet Pea is not sweet. Petunia is nasty. Daphne likes to hump everyone. I am working on it though. Trying to let them work it out as long as no blood is drawn. Some pigs are just nice and sociable... Zoe, Magnolia, Iris...

bats

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:56 pm

> Where do you get CF for $8.00?

See Dean´s Animal Feed at http://cavyspirit.com/shopping.htm

Carefresh in the plain brown wrapper for about $8 a bag.
But they are 8-4:30 on weekdays only. :-(
Last edited by bats on Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:03 pm

Two pigs is a nice number. I was very happy with two pigs.

bats

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:14 pm

Pigpal is in the mass transit business for guinea pigs.
Asking her about what a good number of pigs is...
is like asking a school bus driver how many kids to have.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:40 pm

"I was very happy with two pigs. "

Me, too.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:33 pm

Three pigs is good too. My three pigs are happy so long as they are fed.

Zoe, you have a digital camera? People keep asking how to wrap a bumble foot -- I´d love to get a pic up, maybe with your miracle NEW SKIN Wound & Blister Dressing.

KarasKavies

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:35 pm

2 is nice. More is nicer! They are a hoot! Watching them "sort out" authority is too much. One of the pups will run in one side of the house and then come FLYING out the other side once they discover there is an adult pig in there! Way too entertaining!

I don´t know if I am happier with 8, but it IS much more FUN!

Zoe

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:39 pm

Hey Bob, thanks for the C.F. info... I love an excuse to leave town.

Lynx: I am saving money to buy a digital camera. Any suggestions on what kind? Trying to find the best deal on a pretty good one.

The NEW SKIN stuff comes in pieces (2"?) square with a paper back that peels off. I soak Maggies foot really well. Let it dry while I hold her to keep it clean. I cut a piece a little bigger than the open wound (for Maggie that´s about the size of a dime!) Then I press it on and put her back until it´s time to soak again. The package says you can leave the stuff on for a few days. Her foot looks better also since this stuff doesn´t rip at her tender skin. I don´t wrap the foot anymore. Didn´t seem to help and was a pain in the butt. I soak off the NEW SKIN patch once a day. She is also on .8 cc TMS 2X day.

The actually wound has been staying clean and moist... not too moist and not too dry. Of all the pigs at PHS from Hollister, Maggie´s was the worst that I saw... the most swollen. Her foot is only slightly smaller than it was. So awful to see a pig foot like a small grape.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:08 pm

Zoe-
Thanks to you, I now use New Skin, too. On my boyfriend, though. He says this stuff is fantastic.

We also have the liquid version. It is not supposed to be used on open sores (he tried and he said it stings a bit- I´m experimenting on him so I don´t hurt the pigs!), but I was thinking it could be a great thing for when her sores are healed. It´s a little bottle with a tiny brush in it. You just brush it on the wound and let it dry. It´s flexible and water resistant. You know, for when she doesn´t need to be wrapped anymore, but you don´t want her wound in contact with dust and pee.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:49 pm

Zoe, I am partial to Olympus cameras. They have some with a zoom and macro that make for some pretty good pics. They get good reviews. I did have to have mine adjusted under warrantee once (quick) because the data card was not making contact. I think one of their better cameras could be had in the $500 range -- maybe cheaper if you hunt online.

I would go for at least 3 whatever-they-ares (zillion pixels?). The Olympus cameras feel good in your hand. The only thing I would change is to have the lense cap attached to the camera so you don´t have to worry about losing it.

There are alot of cameras out there though. Go with a reputable camera vs. computer company and find a storage medium you like (they use different methods of storing thedata).

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:54 am

I was very happy with two pigs.

I thought I was. But I´m quickly becoming quite fond of five. SO much going on all the time!

bats

Post   » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:19 am

To some extent, I think it depends on whether you like watching herds and keep them free range... or whether you want lap pigs. I like the latter -- lap pigs -- and prefer to have 2 to 4 pigs max.

I find holding more than one pig at a time while I´m watching tv is a challenge. Two will fuss more... and one will always need to go to the bathroom just as the other is falling asleep. Holding one is very satisfying.

Zoe

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:23 am

Hey Lynx, thanks for the Olympus suggestion. A couple of other people have said the same thing... Gonna have to save up a little more money and do it right.

I really like a good lap pig. (Zoe ruled in that department...) I think it´s weird that my best lap pig right now is Maggie with the awful background. I am a very attentive slave and I have these 3 who really make me look bad.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:53 pm

I love my Sony camera. Sorry, I don´t remember the whole bunch of letters and numbers that make up the name, but I´ll look.

The reason why I like it so much is that you stick a regular computer disk in it. No wires, no chips, nothing to download. I don´t think I could go back to the regular digital cameras. You stick the disk in, take picture, take the disk out and stick it into your coputer.

It´s a little more expensive, but really, really worth it. Oh, and another feature is that it allows you to make short videos made to be uploaded on a web site.

22 posts