Cannibal Animal?

tabby

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:35 am

Our 10wk old, Furbie has taken a liking to my 8yr old daughter Mary. They get on really well, and boy does that piggie chatter when Mary is around. Mary does however have a couple of concerns which she would like ansewrs too and will value anybody´s opinion.
Monday, whist Furbie was on M´s lap, M was bit by Furbie. No mark or blood was left. Taking into account that 10 mins earlier M was feeding her some Romaine and was not petting her at the time I can only presume that Furbie thought M was a nice peice of green vegetation and wanted a taste. She could have been grooming M as they get on so well and Furbie has groomed me. Or could Furbie have been saying "Oi! Love me! NOW!"
Never the less we had tears to which M´s sympathetic mother (me) exclaimed, "Shut up theres no blood. Don´t expect Furbie back until you have stopped making that noise." Furbie was promptly taken away and cuddled by me until the noise had seized. Furbie was not startled in anyway and was still chattering away when I removed her form M´s lap and continued to chatter.
I did explain the above to M who has understood it and would still value your opinions, after all when you were 8+ your mum spouted a load of rubbish.
Today Furbie was on M´s shoulder, chatting away and M claimed she was eating her hair so placed her down on the sofa. I think Furbie is grooming M and see´s her as a great big G.P. pal and is showing her lots of affection, plus m´s hair is due for a wash tonight!
Please let me know what your opinions/experiences are of this topic. I would like to proove that I am a smarty pants but I will also take on board that this smart arse is not so smart!
Thankyou all.
XXtabs.

pinta

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:42 am

My pigs have groomed my arm by just catching the skin in their teeth - a slight pinch is felt when they get enthusiastic. I´ve had them sample my toes, no blood but enough for me to bat them away.

Wet hair they love to eat. Some will go for dry hair too. Furbie could consider her another pig. Many pigs like to barber each other.

Is Furbie an only pig?

lisam

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:52 am

My pigs will give me gentle bites occasionally, to remind me to put them down, or to move that carrot over where they can reach it better.

tabby

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:56 am

Thanks Pinta. Thanks lisam
No Furbie is not an only pig and is settling in well with Tribble our 16mth old female, although Tribble is partial to display´s of Rumblestrutting for Furbies attention. If she is eating hair and not grooming will she get hairballs etc.
Last edited by tabby on Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cara

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:59 am

Sherman eats my hair if he´s close enough to give it a grab. Lilly and Grace barber each other and any other pig they can get close enough to. They are silkies but they have short hair that is obviously chewed on! Maybe Furbie is a barberer and human hair consumer.

tabby

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:06 am

She will have along coat when it grows. Maybe she´s praticing!

pigpal

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:05 pm

My experience is that guinea pigs are like babies, everything goes into their mouths to get checked out with a tentative exploratory nibble. If it tastes good, it gets more than a cursory nibble - either extended licking or a darn good chomp!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:32 pm

Ya know, guinea pigs sound like my two goldfish. They are always sticking things in their mouths to test them out -- and they may put it in their mouths several times, obviously hopeful it wasn´t the yucky thing they remembered the first time before finally leaving it be.

One of my pigs REFUSES to accept that my body parts are not edible. She is always hopefully giving a gentle nibble on the off chance I have transformed.
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky

Post   » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:25 pm

My Scouty, who is now about 5-6 mos old, bit me and everyone else in site everytime she was picked up. Suddenly, about two weeks ago, she stopped biting.

I really do think they go through stages.

poshpiggy

Post   » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:41 am

mine give me the occasional nip, but ive noticed they normally only bite when they dont feel good.

Kat

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:23 pm

My Cadbury used to have a little routine. First he would sniff me, then lick me, then bite! It was almost as if he was going through the different stages of trying me out.
Cadbury also used to nip me gently when he was sitting on my lap, and I stopped patting him.
Last edited by Kat on Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ke6tap

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:58 pm

My pigs try to bite every time I stick my fingers in their cage or hold them. My oldest sow brought blood when I was holding her one time. The other two have not bitten that hard but I don´t like it. People kept telling me how great gp´s were because they didn´t bite.
How do you discourage biting? They want under my chin and then nip at my face. I can´t let them keep doing that!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:04 pm

Usually with time they will be more considerate. I only got nailed when I pushed the limit (check a pig´s tummy twice, thought of trimming nails another time).

Around here we always consider the possibility of pigs having mites. It makes them cranky, irritable, and more likely to bite.

If you haven´t read about mange mites, you might take a look.

www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

13 posts • Page 1 of 1