Boars

sjj92

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:44 pm

Would it matter for two boar guinea pigs in the same cage to fight if they were brothers?

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:47 pm

Dear God.
This question has been posted many, many times, so if you do a search, you´ll probably find many threads on the subject.

It´s a myth that boars can´t live together. Whether or not they are brothers is not really relevant. Introduction needs to be done right and they need lots of space, but several people here have boars living together.

How big is your cage?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:50 pm

It would matter if they fight enough to injure each other.

Evangeline´s right. There are many threads on doing introductions. Get a really big cage and you´ll find advice that will help.

lisam

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:01 pm

Cage size is very important with two boars (well, with any sex, for that matter). The pigs need to be able to get away from the other if needed, and need to be able to drink and eat without being harrassed, so it is good to have two water bottles and two food dishes.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:02 pm

There´s some interesting reading at the Cavy Spirit site about pairing up two males, two females or other groups of guinea pigs. If you scroll down the page you´ll find some useful information on introducing two potential cage mates to each other, to avoid fighting.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Check out some of the other pages at Cavy Spirit too, there´s some great ideas for cages and all sorts of other guinea pig stuff. I hope that helps.

sjj92

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:41 am

My cage is about 2 Ft. by 2 Ft. So I think it is big enough. Oh I have one more question. Say for instanct you accidently breeded a mom with a son would the babies have birth defects? (This didn´t really happen and is never going to. I was just curious.) Thanks.

pinta

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:00 am

Your cage is the minimum size for only one cavy.

From the Care Guide: http://guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

SIZE: Consider providing as large a cage as possible -- at least 4 square feet
per cavy adding 2 square feet per additional cavy or more. A larger cage will
require less frequent cleaning and provide space for play, toys and exercise.
CavyCages.com makes a compelling case for providing an even larger cage
and offers creative, attractive, and affordable ways to do so. Visit
CavyCages.com for plans and designs.

If you don´t know the genetics of your animals you could be risking birth defects regardless of relationship. I believe breeding a mother to a son is inbreeding although breeders might have a different term for it. You might not see genetic defects until the cavy is older. Not all defects are apparent at birth.

Becky

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:33 am

sjj92, I´m getting very confused about all of your posts.

Didn´t you say you were trying to find a home for your boars?

Also, curiosity is one thing, but when you say "accidently breeded a mom with a son" it sounds to me like it already has happened.
Last edited by Becky on Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

sjj92

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:06 pm

yes I´m trying to find a home for a boar baby.
And me and my friend were talking and she was wondering if the babies would have defects if that happened.

sjj92

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:07 pm

But no it never happened. And I´m sorry I confused you.
Last edited by sjj92 on Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjj92

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:14 pm

Pinta, I will only have two boars in the same cage for awhile because I just need to find a home for one of them. And they are just 3 weeks old. So I think they are going to be fine. I´m only going to keep one.

Sunny

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:50 am

sjj92 - why not keep them both so the other boar has a friend?

You´ll just need to build a bigger cage which can be done very inexpensively. See the cage links at www.cavyspirit.com.

sjj92

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:15 am

Well I still have the mom too. But I could get the mom spayed. And keep three GPS. I forgot, how much does spaying cost?

Pozone

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:15 pm

I only have boars -- who have lived together without incident for almost 2.5 years -- and no experience with sows, but from everything I´ve read, spays are FAR riskier than neuters for boars. A spay is much more invasive surgery, and seems only to be done if some medical condition makes it necessary for the pig´s survival. http://www.cavyspirit.com has an excellent section on neutering, including a step-by-step guide to what the vet should do, what followup care should be, etc -- you might want to read that and consider a neuter, if you want your sow and boar to live together. Either way, though, you will need a bigger cage -- 4 square feet is inadequate for two pigs, regardless of gender.

Incidentally, if you decided to keep the other boar, I´m not sure the 3 pigs could live together, even if the boars were neutered. Others may know better, but it seems to me that two boars with a sow would be asking for trouble, because they´d both be fighting to "win" her -- even if they were neutered.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:33 pm

Spaying and neutering are both very risky, but spaying even more. Neutering is about 100$ and spaying is usually a little bit more (about 150$).

I agree with Pozone that your cage is quite small, even for just one pig. Don´t even think of keeping two or three pigs in there. And one female with two boars is not a good idea.

Ideally, the two boars would be kept together in a spacious cage. Then, you won´t need surgeries.

15 posts • Page 1 of 1