Types of piggies.

loofapig

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:19 pm

How can I tell what type of pig mine is? It is mostly white, with a little black and a lot of dark brown and some tan. The other one is completely black. I know my long hair is a peruvian. ?(

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:57 pm

If you have a picture of your pig on a website somewhere, include the link and maybe Evangeline can tell you what you have (she´s the resident expert).

Evangeline

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:08 pm

(she´s the resident expert)

Hahaha! Expert? Hahaha!
Breeds and varieties interest me because I´m curious, but since I haven´t gotten beyond the color genes (hair genes are a whole other story!), that would make me the resident expert wannabe.

I could give it a try, though, if you posted pictures. Brown and tan could be half a dozen things. And you can´t have four colors on a pig.
Last edited by Evangeline on Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 11:14 pm

And you can´t
have four colors on a pig.

You can if you use a felt pen.....

Cara

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:47 am

Why can´t there be four colors in a pig? I´ll have to look more closely when I get home, maybe it is only three but I swear Sherman has black, brown, tan and white fur.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:18 pm

Nope. Some people claim to have four color pigs- called Mosaics -, but they are more than likely two shades of beige (as per the genetics book I keep losing - Claus something).

Cara, Sherman is a long haired pig, right? I have no idea what you call "brown" and "tan", but long haired pigs usually have quite a bit of shading. Long black hair can look greyish, long red hair can look creamish. In show pigs, it´s bad news, but in pet pigs, it´s very common.

If Sherman has black hair, it means he also has dark eyes. And it also means he can´t be a mosaic, so it has to be fading. Any picture of him?

pinta

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:50 pm

I think Sherman is in Cara´s avatar.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:22 pm

http://www.geocities.com/cas3858/kingpig.jpg

Cara-
On your web site, you describe Sherman as a lemon agouti. As far as I can see, he has cream patches, white patches and agouti patches. To me, his agouti color looks more cream agouti than lemon agouti, but you´ll know best. I have no idea where you see a 4th color. Of course, each agouti hair has two colors on it (dark base and pale tip), so maybe that´s what´s confusing you.

I looked at every picture of him and what I see is a cream/cream agouti/white broken.

Jill

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:31 pm

Whatever he is, that Sherman is a cutie - and what a great name.

Sunder

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:53 pm

Is there a web site that identifies types of piggies? My Sunder is all black, no brown, dark eyes and short haired....real shiny, even through his illnesses.

pinta

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:54 pm

Is Sunder a satin?

Sunder

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:07 pm

I don´t know...I´m going to try to get some pics on line and I´ll let you guys tell me.

Cara

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:27 pm

Ummm, actually, E, I think you told me that he was a lemon aguoti. He´s an abby. I guess I am seeing two shades of the brown. The bottoms of his "quad" colors hairs are black, then brown, then tan and then white. whatever parts of his fur that isn´t agouti is either tan or white. I´m still at school but I didn´t think about different shades of the same color so I´ll check his fur out more closely when I get home but I bet that´s it.

thanks, Jill, he is a real cutie. Wish I had a video camera to get his popcorning on tape.

pinta

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:30 pm

E´s just screwing with your head.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:35 pm

I don´t think you get to count it as four different colos if they are all on the same hair.
Last edited by Nurgle on Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:00 pm

I edit, and yet I still cannot spell.

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:16 pm

Cara-
Listen to me! "Brown" and "tan" are not guinea pig colors!!! I still have no idea what you call brown.

I remember telling you about the agouti color, but a lemon agouti pig would be lemon agouti all over. Yours is a cream/white/lemon agouti broken.

If you read my last post, I said it looked like cream agouti on the picture, but you would know better since you seen him in real life.

Lemon agouti: black base-cream tip
Cream agouti: chocolate base-cream tip

It´s impossible to have four color on one hair.
He´s an Abby? I thought he was an American with coat faults?

pinta

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:00 pm

Well, we all have our faults....

Evangeline

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 8:21 pm

Except me. You know I´m perfect.

pinta

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:44 pm

a perfect ass

31 posts