Rats living with Guinea pigs?

Sunny

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:46 pm

I remember reading that rats should NOT be living with Guinea pigs, but I don´t remember why. I did a search but couldn´t find anything.

There is a petstore letting a rat run free. They say it´s their "house rat." He likes to sleep in the Guinea pig hutch and finds a way to squeeze through the lid that doesn´t latch. I´m guessing it´s not sanitary anyway to have a loose rat; I mean, where is it pooping and peeing? Also, this particular hutch of Guinea pigs has 3 new babies, only 4 days old. The rat was in with the babies on the day they were born. The employee´s reply to my objection was, "Well the momma GP doesn´t seem to mind so I guess it´s okay."

I´m appalled of course and want to give them solid facts as to why this is not accetable. Can anyone help?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:51 pm

I remember reading on this site that rats carry some kind of bacteria that can harm the pig. Maybe you can find the thread by going back a little. I´ve owned rats for a long time and although all rats are different I don´t think they would harm the pig by biting or eating the babies.

Sunny

Post   » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:57 pm

Thanks HollyT - with the "bacteria" added to my search, I found the thread I was thinking of. If you´re intersted, here it is.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/thread.php?threadid=1518&boardid=2

Seems that there isn´t much concern of the rat harming the pigs... but I would guess it´s still a sanitation concern.

If anyone else has additional input, I would appreciate it.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1