fighting cagemates

eichstermom

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:14 am

One of our female g.p.´s has started attacking the other. They are approx. 6 months old, have been cagemates for 5 months. Allie has always been more dominant, but haven´t had any problems. Twice she has attacked Pebbles, pulling out large patches of hair, leaving bloody bare skin underneath (on each shoulder). We´ve never seen the actual circumstances - fighting over food or house space, etc. We hear Pebbles squeal loudly & see the damage. These were days that I was late giving them their morning treats - could they be cranky? Are they affected by changes in weather or atmospheric pressure? Both instances happened while Tropical Storm Isidore and Hurricane Lili were passing through.

I put antibiotic cream on it, cover with gauze & separate them for a little while. The next morning, the area looks like it is starting to heal.

The rest of the time, they seem to get along fine. Is it time to permanently separate them? The cage is huge - don´t know where I´d put another.

Any thoughts?

Sunny

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:52 am

Interesting theory about the atmospheric pressure. I know animals are very sensitive to that... you might be on to something.

What size is your cage eichstermom? Space seems to be a recurring issue with fighting pigs. The bigger the better. Mine is 28" x 70" for 3 boys.

Also, it helps if each pig has their own house (box or pigloo within the cage) so they have their own territory. You will also want to provide them each with their own water bottle and food dish. Just reduce the things they can fight over.

I thought I was doing my 3 pigs a favor by putting one big house in their cage so if they were lonely or scared, they could huddle in there together. BIG mistake. They always fought over the big house. I finally removed it and put 3 houses exactly the same size. It has made a huge difference - no more squabbles.

eichstermom

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:58 am

Our cage is probably 24"x48" (it´s the largest Marchiaro cage). We only have one large house, so maybe it´s time to switch to two small ones. I tried watching them for a while to see if they would fight again, but they behaved like angels under scrutiny. We have one water bottle, which they barely drink from anyway. They get lots of fruits and vegetables, so they may get enough hydration from that. Fresh foods are given in two bowls.

Lida

PauloF

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:52 pm

Hi eichstermom,

A ´´huge´´ cage according to specific standard may be a small one according to another set of standards. Take a look at http://www.cavycages.com and check their cage size recommendations.

I have two sows in a 2x6 C&C cage (roughly 21´´ x 72´´) with a second level for added area, and sometimes it seems that they would benefit from a larger cage. Two food bowls, two water bottles, and three hidey holes for them to choose from. Never a fight between them.

Anyhow, there are several reasons for a change of behavior among gps. I´m sure other, more experienced people in this boad will provide you with valuable information.

Sunny

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:46 pm

The extra house, water bottle and food dish may do the trick. Good luck.

lisam

Post   » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:25 pm

Do you have more than the two pigs in the cage? If so, I bet that additional space will help your fighting problem.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1