Help! I have to quarantine my pigs in the UK for 6 months!!!

petit-filous

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:25 am

Hi cea2001

I can imagine the flight from Oz to the UK would be a total nightmare. With all the stopovers, the travelling time would indeed be longer than a day! Even the hardiest guinea pigs would have been severely stressed.

Thankfully Bahrain to Heathrow is a relatively easier 6-7 hours by direct flight. Our location is certainly better for pet travel.

I have also been extremely fortunate with the people who are helping me, offering good advice and kind words of support--including you and other GL members. A Kiwi lady who's been in Bahrain for decades offered her services as a pet exporter and she'll make sure that the pigs are flown in comfort in a custom-made cage to Heathrow and (hopefully) whisked off to an animal sanctuary that I have checked out and approve of.

Wish me luck!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:20 am

We do. We all know how hard this will be on both you and your little guys. I hope they get spoiled and that you can visit.

Good luck for sure.

cea2001

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:56 pm

Glad to hear that you are getting support and help.

Gawd, the flight from Oz to the UK is appalling. Not only is it endless and uncomfortable, it makes my head explode with boredom (or nearly).

It would pretty much be a death warrant for a pig, I would think.

Ketus15
Love is a Guinea Pig

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Good news! Great luck to you!

petit-filous

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:08 am

Woohoo!!! I just called up the animal sanctuary in Wales and DEFRA will allow them to quarantine my guinea pigs.

DEFRA also sent them a gazillion pages of quarantining requirements. This is obviously high level security stuff!

The sanctuary is relocating so I'll be finalising costs and other details with the owners after they move. The timing of the move depends on when they find a new place, so it could be a while.

In the meantime I do want to keep my (our) options open so any information on other UK sanctuaries / rescues that can quarantine my piggies is very welcome.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:51 am

Oh, I hope it works out for you. It would be so cool if you were able to find a place you could visit easily.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:58 pm

Still in progress - one of the contacts is on holiday so it's kind of held things up temporarily!

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Tue May 03, 2005 9:28 am

Petit-filous, an email with contact details has been sent to you, fingers crossed!

petit-filous

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:13 am

Update time!

By the way thank you so much webs for all your help. Your contacts have been very helpful but infortunately so far they do not have the resources to meet DEFRA's onerous requirements.

As things stand, the piggies are leaving at the end of July for their 6-month quarantine in Wales. It's going to cost...well...a lot. Those little critters better be grateful!!!

Well a few days back I had a piggy glamour shoot (nothing dodgy!) to provide their photo ID's for quarantining purposes. Then I realised that I have never posted their picture before. As a complete and utter tech retard I need your help to post picture.

Could I email the photos (2 group shots) to one of you? I wrote to ly last night but I know she's extremely busy so could someone else help me instead? Many thanks in advance...

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:37 am

You can pass the pics of your pigs on to the email address that you already have for me and I'll stick 'em up for you!

Glad you found somewhere that would take them for definite. Did they smile for their passport pics - nobody else does!

petit-filous

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:02 am

Thanks again webs, I will email you tonight from my gmail account.

petit-filous

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:04 am

And sorry to disappoint you, the pigs ain't smiling in their photos. It's death stares all the way for subjecting them to scary monster digital camera (it makes funny noises which sends them dashing off to their pigloos).

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:14 pm

If my pigs had eyebrows there would be many frowns every time they hear the whir of the digital zoom!

Introducing petit-filous' pigs - soon-to-be the most travelled and expensive piggies in the world! (I resized them a bit to fit).

Pate on the left, Filous in the centre and Brulee on the right

Petit on the left and Marcel on the right.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:31 pm

Hey, petit-filous, you need an avatar! I recommend one of Petit. All very cute pigs. I wish them the best in quarantine.

PyscoFalcon

Post   » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Glad you found somewhere.

But yes - when I tried to take in some mice and dwarf hamsters I was told they would still need the 6 months in quarentine even tho they only live 12 to 18 months!

Oh and get this - if they had babies there, the babies would still need to stay 6 months!

But I can see there point - UK is completly rabies free so we don't want to risk bringing rabies in. But I don't see why they can't do blood tests 2 to 3 months apart to prove there rabies free.

Oh and I can see Wales from my house so if you want to stop by to rest and have a cuppa whilst visiting your pigs then your more than welcome. Live just off J18 of the M5.

petit-filous

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:44 am

Yippee my pigs have finally made their debut!!! Thanks webs.

I'll ask Petit if she minds being the avatar pig. She has classic guinea pig looks and is terribly photogenic.

Oh dear, something must be done about Brulee's green beard. It is so unsightly for a lady!

PyscoFalcon, I don't understand why DEFRA can't do blood tests either. I hope the rules change soon! We should form a lobby for small mammalian pets.

I'll be in Swansea Valley (taking the Paddington to Neath train) next week for a quick day trip (tour the quarantine facility and drop off the piggy luggage--their favourite bedding, fleece, pigloos, water bowls, exercise pipe, etc.). Then it's back to London for job interviews, flat-hunting; t'is all a bit rushed! I'll be back in November to check on them so maybe we could meet up then.

PyscoFalcon

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:55 am

Sounds great.
Just interested why you've chosen London when there's the whole UK? (Prices in London ar scary)

petit-filous

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:04 am

Blame the husband, he's being transferred to London.

Staying in central London is the best option cuz he works really crazy hours and I wouldn't want to put him through a long commute every day. I will probably work, too (fingers crossed) to fund my guinea pig habit hahaha.

Actually I am really tempted to adopt a few more when we're settled in London, round about January/February (which is when the piggies leave quarantine). I keep checking the guineapigrehome site... It all depends if we have the space!

crazycheryl

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:20 am

Best of luck to you and your piggies. (I blame the husband for just about everything and it always works for me!)

PyscoFalcon

Post   » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:37 am

Well good luck then! It's a buisy, crazy place.

76 posts