Guinea pig garden

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Evidently I was born with a phallic thing sticking out of my ear. This pepper really is Weekly World News quality.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:16 pm

Wow JD, I guess you got it surgically removed?!

That'll teach me to jump from page 1 to page 3 with a post like this at the top!

critterluv02

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:27 pm

Does anyone know anything about Fennel? My husband grew a huge crop of it this year as we and the dogs love to eat it. I gave some to the pigs an no one suffered any ill effects, but I cannot find anything about it nutritionally. I loved the way the shelter smelled while they all chowed down on it.

I am thrilled that Zookeeper brought up nasturtiums. We have a garden full of them right now and weren't sure if the pigs could eat them or not. I will give it a try to see what they think. I think they are too spicy and only eat a little at a time.

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:29 pm

Yup, webs, it was tied off in the hospital right after I was born. As for fennel, some people give babies fennel tea to relieve gas. Not sure about its other benefits.

lisam

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:17 pm

I grew fennel last year, it was easy. The pigs love it!

everly_dawn

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:20 am

I see several people saying forget chives or they don't like green onions, but i don't see anyone saying it's BAD for them. So does that mean I can try it? It won't hurt them, they just may not like it? The reason I ask is that i grow them in my garden for me but I don't eat the tops, same with radishes. I was wondering if I could use them for anything other than compost.

In my garden I have Rhubarb (which I think is not good for Pigs right?) Green Pepper, Cucumber, scallions and Watermellon. Yum. I just got my first pepper and scallions today!

Oh and I also have mint and clover with the little white flowers in my yard. Is that alright for the boys? I don't generally let them eat things in the yard. i have too many bad plants like thistle and such.

Suisan

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:30 am

No onions or chives or members of the onion or lily family.

Rhubab is OK, just not the leaves. I'd probably only give small pieces as an occasional treat. Green pepper is fine as are cucumber and watermelon -- they love the rinds. No scallions.

Clover's OK, but only as a treat. It has a lot of calcium in it which can cause bladder stones. My pigs love it. I keep trying to convince my guys that mint is lovely, but they won't eat it. I think it's too spicy for them.

magicmoo

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:06 pm

I grow

Parsley (curly and flat)
Cucumbers
Lettuce(5 types)
sweetcorn
broccoli
peas
spinach
Mixed peppers
Conference pears

I plan to do more next year. The pigs mainly get the lettuce and sweetcorn husks/silks. They only get small amounts of the others. I am proud to say that I have only bought one lettuce this summer!

I would advocate keeping a compost bin/heap. Not only do I throw the left over hay stalks and poops on, I throw all of the kitchen peelings, tea bags, coffee grounds, paper and thin cardboard too. If the pigs leave anything (sometimes they leave the skeletons of romaine leaves, for example) they go straight to the compost.

Absolutly nothing goes to waste here. I love the fact that the pigs are part of uber-recycling!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Sounds like a great variety of vegs!

Pimpinpuji

Post   » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:52 am

So fennel is alright? What about just the actual seed part of it? I don't know what that part is called.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2014

Post   » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:16 am

Fennel is fine, I have been feeding it regularly for years. It's easy to grow here in So.Cal. I only give the leafy part though, seeds (of any kind) are not good for them.

I also grow wheat grass, oat grass, parsley, mixed lettuces and corn. I don't give them any corn, only the husks.

51 posts