Tiring of veggies?

chocolates mom

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:10 pm

My piggies seem to be tiring of veggies. They are all fine, but they seem to be getting a bit picky with spinach, parsley and cilantro. Has anyone every had this problem?

piggielover

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:16 pm

Hi there!
Nope havn´t had that problem yet. Mine prefer the vegies over thier other food. How much do you give them of the vegtables? Maybe I do not give mine enough. I give only 1 cup of parley a day and 2 baby carrots every other day to each piggie. I wish mine would get tired of veggies and eat more pellets. Good luck~
Piggielover :-)

bats

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:20 pm

Yup. We rotate our menu every few days because they lose interest in certain vegetables.

Ours tire of spinach quickly and parsley and cilantro occasionally. Other vegetables they loose interest in after a few days: Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, and even carrots now and then.

They never seem to get tired of romaine, corn husks, and grass.
Last edited by bats on Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunder

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:31 pm

Bats - I don´t know where I read it, but you should never give string beans to your pig...they are poisonous.

My pig has always been a picky eater, and gets bored with certain veggies...never romaine unless he was/is sick.

gpservant

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:45 pm

Sunder I think you should do some research on string beans. You´ll find that it´s a guinea pig urban legend that they´re poisonous to pigs.

Another guinea pig urban legend would be that most males can´t or don´t get along as cagemates.

bats

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:48 pm

Hi, Sunder. Thanks for your quick note of concern. I really appreciate that.

I did a quick search on the GL forums and came up with only two items regarding green/string beans:

Lynx> Nuts have too much fat. String beans are okay. Beans that are high in carbohydrates and would be dried for use probably aren´t a good choice.

Pinta> Gurney recommends corn silk for sick pigs. I´d be willing to bet these sites are the same sites that say green beans are toxic - a stupid untrue rumour started by an ill-researched food list.

So it sounds like they´re okay. Mine get one string apiece every few days. When they´re in the mood for them, that will be one of the items they grab and run away with to eat privately.

Bob
Last edited by bats on Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunder

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:57 pm

Wow, and I panicked one time when someone gave my pig a snow pea...I thought it was in the same family and quickly grabbed it away from him. Poor guy, he could have had a real nice treat, huh? Sorry, for the unnecessary concern, but Sunder has been my only pig and I went online to get any info I could on him when I first got him.

pinta

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:26 pm

I researched that idiot rumour. I found the idiot source and got credible info from a poison control centre recommended by a university botany department. I found out why the fools jumped to the conclusion and some day when I have time - I´ll try to ferret out the info. I believe I posted it at CG in the good ol´ days before Stepford took over.

It was a clear case of misinterpreting data and making false asumptions.

Twits.
Last edited by pinta on Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stickyfroggi

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:32 pm

Mine get sick of different foods too... Moppy almost always refuses kale now if I try to give her some too many days in a row...It´s maybe because I pumped them full of it when I first got them... I was paranoid about vitamin C when I was brand new to guinea pigs... I´m still new, I´ve only had them since May 5th. I just take those things away for a week or two and then give them back and that seems to work. It´s hard for me because there isn´t many things they´ll eat veggie-wise. Picky lil suckers.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:33 pm

My pigs definitely have their preferences, but never seem to get tired of those same foods.

Interestingly, all the Hollister pigs I´ve had here have been BIG fruit eaters. Since they´ve been here my pigs have been inspired to eat fruit too! No way would my pigs have eaten oranges before they saw the others eat them!

chocolates mom

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:22 pm

Well I feel better now, I will just give them romaine for awhile and back off on the cilantro and spinach. They do love cantaloupe though and they went crazy when I gave them watermelon. One thing I´ve noticed is that my 2 original pigs like different things than the Hollister pigs do.

bats

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:03 pm

We usually have a variety of at least 3 things every time we feed them fresh food. Variety is the key to good nutrition. But what they get varies from day to day -- a different combination depending on what we bought and what they´re tired of.

mumsyof2

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:23 pm

Romaine never goes bad in our house. However, with these two, that is about the only thing they´ll even regularly eat. They both ran away from a cherry tomatoe (that was hilarious- Annabelle thinks that everything exists just to eat her!), and didn´t even sniff the parsley. They nibbled the cilantro but most of that was left too. Cantaloupe was a hit, as well as a little bit of apple.

pinta

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:37 pm

Everything gets eaten in a herd situation.

My guest pigs drive me crazy because they are so damned picky. I keep taking uneaten limp stuff out of their cage and tossing it a the herd who promptly devour it.

I suspect Bim and Bubba would change their aristocratic ways if competition for food was introduced. In fact I´d like to see tasty morsels snatched from their jaws before they even have a chance to taste them.
Last edited by pinta on Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:50 pm

I´ve been experimenting with lots of different greens for my pigs. Specifically, I´ve been giving them greens with a 2:1.5 or better ratio of ca to phos. (Issues with sludgy pigs!)

They now eat tons of things I never would have imagined. Beet greens, chicory greens, endive lettuce, dill (one of their favorites).

Fresh wheat grass daily is something I never miss. I think they´d attack me in my sleep.

I also have noticed that the more pigs one has, the less "picky" they seem to be.

Interestingly, most fruits are higher in Phos. than Ca, supposedly less than ideal.

I think the whole area of gp nutrician is very interesting.

And as Bats said, variety is very important.
Last edited by Becky on Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:25 pm

Beer.Wine, Tequila equals my variety.

You know you are a piggy slave when most of vegetables in your cart are for your four legged children. I can´t keep up with carrots in the garden. I am growing them just for their tops.

If I can entice one pig to try something new, the others usually follow suit if the curious pig doesn´t keel over.

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:54 pm

Yikes, Julian! Check out the calcium content of carrot tops! Off the charts!

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:21 pm

Not for my old guys ( over a year) or stone piggies.

Since I buy timothy in bulk, it is for the lacating mom, her two babies and the other young pigs. I use it to replace Alfalfa hay for them.

irena

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:38 am

>I suspect Bim and Bubba would change their aristocratic ways if competition for food was introduced. In fact I´d like to see tasty morsels snatched from their jaws before they even have a chance to taste them.

How unkind of you.
<insert self-satisfied smirk here:__>

I can imagine how you feel; my parents and I have been putting up with Bubba and Bim&acute;s airs for Years. I find it especially offensive when they soil the romaine leaves to indicate (I assume) that they are quite done with those, thank you.

On the other hand, they are both fairly cute, so it all kind of evens out.

pinta

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:07 am

Bubba pulls up paper from the bottom of the cage and dramatically yanks it over the offending romaine as though the mere sight of the romaine makes him physically ill.

20 posts • Page 1 of 1