Ack - Potatos!

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:58 pm

I thought my husband new not to give potatos to the pigs, but apparently not. He just gave a bit of russet potato to our pigs. One didn´t go near it, the other loved it. He removed it as soon as I told him pigs shouldn´t eat white potatos.

How concerned should I be about the pig that ate some of it??

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:04 pm

If I remember correctly, the problem with potatoes is their high starch content (which is just fattening) and sprouting eyes can be toxic. Right? Anyone?

If the pig just ate a bit of the white meat, I don´t think you have to worry.

bats

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:07 pm

Starch -- not particularly good.

I also seem to remember the problem was with the skin -- when it turns greenish it indicates the buildup of a poisonous substance. Someone else needs to confirm this.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:17 pm

I didn´t see how much he ate since I wasn´t there. husband said not much and mostly the white meat. Might have gotten a bit of skin though. Argh...

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:17 pm

Green skin, sprouts, and eyes are toxic (to humans, too, but much less so).

That is the extent of my potato knowledge.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:16 pm

Yes, the green parts contain oxalic acid. Too much is not good (I´m guessing the sprouts might too).

I agree the pigs will probably be okay. But best to avoid potatoes in the future.
Last edited by Lynx on Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:41 pm

Thanks for the reassurance...no more potatos for the pigs...husband now knows.

Zoe

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:14 pm

Actually. it´s something else that´s toxic in the greens besides oxalic acid. Always space on what it is. Toxic to humans too. Oxalic acid is in a lot of dark veggies and fruits that pigs eat... Stones are often made of calcium oxalate.

Too much potato starch makes yer pig fat...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:33 pm

Too much oxalic acid is a problem. If you check, some items that are really high in oxalic acid can be deadly (mature lambs quarters and cows).

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:31 pm

Isn´t a "mature lamb" called a sheep?

Zoe

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:34 pm

Too much oxalic acid is a problem. That´s why I don´t feed large amounts of spinach, parsley or beet greens to my piggies. The tart taste in the clover like plant Oxalis is the oxalic acid.

I used to say that that was what made green potato parts toxic but (Pinta) said it was something else. I think I´ll go try to look it up somewhere.

Zoe

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:44 pm

Okay... here it is... It´s solanin. Here is what I copied off of www.urbanlegends.com

-------------

W3NI describes a solanin as a bitter toxic alkaloid like the soapy saponins, from potato sprouts and eyes, eggplant/aubergine, tomato/lycopersicon, and other members of the nightshade family such as belladonna, bittersweet, and henbane. I do not know what the symptoms of solanin toxemia are, nor what dose would be fatal.

-------------

There was more on there if you care to look...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:50 pm

And more (says it´s alkaloids):

http://net.unl.edu/wonderwise/14africa/a-plant.htm

And: "21. Potato (Solanum tuberosum) has tubers that are great to eat but the leaves have a lot of slightly poisonous alkaloids in them. This is the case with many plants in the nightshade family (potato, eggplant, green pepper, tomato). In some countries, varieties of potato have more alkaloids in them than are allowed by law in the U.S.A., and green parts of these kinds of potatoes can make one pretty sick if eaten."

http://www.sciencebuff.org/%5Cbot_pois/bot_pois.htm
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

13 posts • Page 1 of 1