Show your Cage

supertramp
Hopelessly Addicted

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:55 pm

I figured it out. Wood and wire ties - the wood makes it pretty sturdy. It's handy because it doesn't need a hinge.

Closed cage:

Open cage:

I let the pigs in to check it out, and they liked it so much they celebrated by sharing a poo. Lovely.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:59 pm

Awwwww... pooo sharing! Good job on the cage!

K.D. amusingly enough, the pigs prefer the clear bottles with the orange writing on it, but I cannot find any more of those.

Strange pigs!

K_D

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:53 pm

You're not going to believe this, but mine do, too! I have to fill that bottle up a couple of times a day. The only time they use the green one, is when the clear bottle with the orange writing is empty. I wonder what it is that they like so much about that bottle.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Maybe the spigot is smaller and easier on their tongues? I dunno, but they sure do like them and I have not been able to find them anymore!

K_D

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:07 pm

I can't even remember where I got that bottle from. Hmmm... Maybe Walmart. I know, I got the green one from Walmart. I've also got a blue bottle, just like the green one.

klynne

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:28 pm

I think PetStupid has the special orange writing bottles. I know I have seen some orange writing bottles there, but don't know if it is the exact same special pigs-like-them ones.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:39 pm

Hmmmm.. I bet it is since I got these two as leftovers from somebody's PetSchmeg castoff cages.

slap_maxwell

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:19 am

Finished designing Mei and Sophie's cage. (Simon is in visiting Mei)

It does not have coro sides yet, I have to pick up a sheet tomorrow. It does have coro on the bottom.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:25 am

Nice Slap!!

KaraT

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 am

Hi all, wonderful pics of your cages. I'm fairly new here and was thrilled to find all the info on health and cages. My problem was that when I went to buy the cubes I couldn't find them anywhere. (very rural area) I've seen them a hundred times in stores, but not now. I was with a friend and (after going to 5 stores) we ended up in Lowe's. We were searching there and came up with the idea of the wire shelving. I had read that some used it for the top of the cage. I got 2 four foot pieces and 1 six foot piece, cut in half. (36' x 48') I put the edge that you'd hang clothes in on the bottom and put them together with the plastic cable ties. Then dropped the coroplast inside. It's working great, but I have a question. I see a lot of you are using towels or fleece? I'm using the care fresh, but it's a bit expensive. Not to mention a 45 minute drive to get it. How do you go about the towel thing? How thick do they need to be? How often do I wash them? Doesn't the hay and poop stick to the towel? Educate me, please. :)

slap_maxwell

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:48 am

I use fleece. In my above picture, I got the fleece throw at Target for $5 (50% off). I bought two of them.

I use just two-three layers of newspaper underneath and it needs to be vaccumed everyday with a dust buster. I wash the fleece every 5-6 days before it starts to smell.

The hay and shavings do stick to the fleece. In the back right corner of the cage you can see a litter box. My favorite thing to use is a layer of Yesterday's News or wood stove pellets, because they dont stick to the fleece. I normally use a hay rack above the litter box but the particular pig that I have in there won't use a hay rack, so the hay is in the litter box and gets changed every day.

Also, I go to the landraumat to wash my fleece, it is more expensive, but the washers that we have for my apartments for some reason like to have hair and dirt cling to every part of it. I dry it here, though.

KaraT

Post   » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks slap for the info. So you're talking the fleece throws? Like the blankets? There are currently 5 on the back of my couch, one for each in the family. :) I always say that we're a family of "blankie people".
Don't know where I'd get enough newspaper though. Could I use towels under the fleece?
I'm liking this! The piggies could have lots of neat colors and designs.