Show your Cage

mosmom

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:55 pm

Does anyone have pics of cages that are made without grids (other materials), my man is looking to make something using his carpentry skills.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:58 pm

Erin and LER have piggie condo shelving they have created - maybe use the mailer and ask them?

Also 11guineas has a cool condo they built, there are pictures here somewhere - but I am not quite sure where.

2pigs2teens

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:16 pm

Here's ours (if I manage to post them)

Before the ramp was finished.

My husband made the ramp, we couldn't convince him to make another for a friends cage, works great for the boys. The cage is not so full of things these days to give the boys more room to run.

lisam

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:55 pm

Does anyone have pics of cages that are made without grids (other materials), my man is looking to make something using his carpentry skills.

Have you checked out the alternative cages on Cavy Cages? There may be something there you might like.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:56 pm

Good job LisaM, Erin's condos are there!

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:44 pm

This was the last kitchen set up.

fourpigs

Post   » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:19 pm

Just remodeled tonight. I did have a stacked cage, wanted all the pigs to see each other. Also, wanted a much simpler cage.

SweetnSassi1689

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:00 pm

Here's my guinea pig; Riley's cage!

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:01 pm

That's a pet store cage. We don't recommend those as they are too small and it is cheaper to build a C&C.

Maybe you should look over www.cavycages.com.

You may want to look over the diet info here too: http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

slap_maxwell

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:11 pm

Mine now is this:

I am building a new cage tomorrow in the living room so Mei can have more attention with her friend Sophie and the other four can have the whole thing.

supertramp
Hopelessly Addicted

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:58 pm

We are moving house next week and I really needed a more suitable pig cage (mine is made of wood and chicken wire and has sharp bits poking out and is almost square so very inconvenient) so I spent a long time calling around asking after Correx earlier today. Eventually one signmaker referred me to another signmaker, that signmaker referred me to a friend of his who has some spare in his warehouse, and then I drove around for a long time trying to find the place. The result was a nice piece of black Correx just big enough for a 2x3 C&C.

Turns out they were making a huge sign for a company who decided against using Correx at all, so they had this big piece in a metal frame that they cut out for me and gave to me for free. Not bad, eh? So now my pigs have a brand new classy black and chrome C&C:

Now, I am well aware that a 2x3 is really pushing it, sizewise, for my 2 girls, but my room at the new house is actually two very small rooms knocked into one, still with a dividing door between the halves. There is also a laminate floor, which means that I can put a bed sheet on the floor and let the pigs free range a good portion of the time, so I'm hoping that will be enough for them. I'm so excited.

Now, to find a way of making it cat-proof.

slap_maxwell

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:10 pm

Do you have more grids? You can make a top from them.

supertramp
Hopelessly Addicted

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:22 pm

I've tried that, but it's weak in the middle and will break if the cat jumps on top of it. Which he will, because he is a little git. He is hiding under the bath right now because he pulled one of the side panels off. He is rude.

I might go to a garden centre tomorrow to get some stiff wide spaced mesh that I have on top of my old cage. It does the trick but is rather awkward to open, because it takes up so much space.

I am so jealous of all these people who have such open, easy-access cages for their pigs.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:24 pm

Do you have Home Improvement stores around? What about the shelving that kind of looks like grid? Do yall have that there?

supertramp
Hopelessly Addicted

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:50 pm

To be honest, I don't really know what you mean. I have an idea, but haven't seen anything like that before. I don't think we have Home Improvement stores either.

I am trying to think of a way to make it sturdy enough to cover one half of the top with grids. I think I can make it work, that just leaves a small space for a hinge type top, which I reckon that garden mesh would be ok for. Fingers crossed!

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:54 pm

Lets see, the call it coated wire shelving - can you see this picture very well?

mab0615

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:55 pm

Slap, your 4 piggies are gonna have a 4 level condo???? Must be nice.

supertramp
Hopelessly Addicted

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:59 pm

Cheers for the picture, Brandi. That stuff looks perfect if it's long enough. I might just have to go shopping tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

thegirlsmom

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Hi I am new to some of you. On cavy cages I am jdomans. Here is my cage. I have 7 girls.

K_D

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Wow! Some of you have some really awesome cages! I'm rather jealous. Wish I was a bit more creative.

Brandilynn, I noticed that we both have the EXACT same water bottles. Just thought that was a neat coincident.

982 posts