Way too hot

Froggieflies

Post   » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:44 pm

I've been very lucky, even with all the heat we have central air, and I have a floor fan so my piggies and I stay nice and cool all summer long.

My turtle on the other had, really enjoys his basking lamp and looks at the piggies and I like were crazy for enjoying all the coolness. Silly turtle!

I do like the frozen veggies and fruits idea. I am going to try it as a treat for the piggies soon.

Ledasmom

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 am

I finally realized that, since in the winter we get nasty cold winds coming up the stairs if the outside basement door is left open, if we leave it open now the chilly basement air gets flushed up here. Very nice for everyone, pigs included. I've been giving them two-liter frozen bottles wrapped in towels; both the boys love to get close to the cold bottles, which we now call their "frozen girlfriends".
I also have a tile (well, since I stepped on it, two pieces of tile) that I put in the freezer, and I fill their bottle about a quarter of the way and freeze it so they have cold water.

Anais

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:24 am

Hmm, I thought that cold food could upset their stomachs. I guess not?

sef1268

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:32 am

Does anyone know what the difference is between a humidifer, and an air cooler? I have been looking at some of the so-called "high velocity" air coolers for the loft where Sebastian and Oliver live (and I sleep), but notice very mixed ratings on them in terms of how well they actually cool.

We do have central air, but the upstairs is always quite a bit warmer than downstairs in the summer.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:55 am

Remember that you can freeze water in soda bottles (but give it enough room to expand so you don't explode the bottle) and put that in the pen, too.

domill

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:11 am

My electricity was out most of the weekend. It was close to 100 degrees outside. I was absolutely miserable. I just made sure I kept cold water in their bottles and every now and then, I dampened them with a wash cloth. One pig loved it, he stretched out and just laid there. My other two boys were not so keen on the idea.

They seemed to do ok. I kept feeling there noses, feet and butt to make sure they didn't seem too hot.

LAWomans
"Live Long and Prosper"

Post   » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

I live in the LA area and have no A/C in my house, so I wrap the Blue Ice frozen bricks in towels or fleece and put them in the Pigaloos. The pigs like them better than the frozen water bottles because they aren't as wet and stay cold longer. I use the small ones for the single pigaloos and the large ones for the double wides. I also have several fans on all day and night, with the sliding glass doors open at night so the cooler air comes in. When it gets over 100 degrees in the house I give them all a shower with a spray bottle or mister. They seem to like it. I cut the long haired pigs hair really short. Unfortunately, since I am haircut impaired, they look like Edward Scissorhands on a bad hair day.

27 posts