Pellet free diet-questions

mab0615

Post   » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:06 pm

Josephine and other pellet free "moms", how did you go pellet free? Did you stop cold turkey or did you gradually decrease the amount you gave daily?

I've been giving my resident pigs (4) half cup in the morning and half in the evening. They act like they've never been fed. They eat them right away and beg for more. According to the vet, they're obese. Their weights range from 1422-1574 grams.

Do you feed them more than the 1 cup/pig per day? Mine get variety of lettuces (romain, green/red leaf, chickory and endive) in the morning and evening along with peppers. Is there something else I should give daily?

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:07 am

Well, I put 3 of my pigs back on pellets. Bonnie is still losing weight, down now 99 grams. She is in a cage with her 2 daughters, Fudge and Liberty, so they all 3 went back on pellets. I will weigh again in a few days to see if Bonnie's weight comes up, if it doesn't she will get to see the vet. She seems fine otherwise, but I am worried about the loss. The others lost weight initially, but have stabilized and some are even gaining back a few grams.

Pigwig

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:32 am

Sorry, haven't been online for awhile so couldn't answer your question earlier about pure dried grass. In the UK hay is cut & left to dry on the field for a few days, where some nutrients will seep back into the soil, whereas dried grass is cut, picked up, freeze-dried & packed into bags on the same day, sealing in alot of the nutrients. It is mainly used for horses, but alot of piggy owners over here use it as an alternative to fresh grass (not as good though).