Guinea pig during winter

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:36 pm

HEy! It's almost winter here and chuffey seems ok, but is there anything i can do to avoid him getting sickand keeping him warm?

lisam

Post   » Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:52 pm

Is Chuffey kept inside or outside? If he in inside, then as long as you heat your house, he will be fine. If he is outside, bring him in. I can't remember where you live--does it get pretty cold there?

pigpal

Post   » Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:45 pm

I firmly believe guinea pigs should be kept indoors, for a number of reasons, including cold winter temperatures.

Even indoor pigs should be kept out of chilly drafts that creep under doors and through window frames during the winter. Cages situated at floor level can be quite drafty, so get down to floor level and check it out. Cavy cozies and other snuggly, warm sleeping places are a good idea for the winter months.

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:38 am

I get the impression that as long as the temperature is between 60 and 85, and there are no sudden CHANGES in temperature, your pigs should be fine. Can someone confirm this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:19 pm

During the year, the temps in my house vary from maybe 82 to 57 on cold mornings. I think you're right about no sudden changes.

Keep in mind those high temps can still be a problem in high humidity and can kill in the sun. So there are other variables (if you're talking outside, you have windchill too).

I'm with Pigpal that your pet should be inside. It will be less bonded, get less care, health issues may go unnoticed -- I could go on and on. Of course there is always the exception of someone in a good clime spending alot of time outside with their pig.

I go for inside.

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:03 pm

Well yeah, generall speaking, it's almost always better for the pigs to live inside.

One of my pigs has never physically been outside of my house, ever, and another one has never made it outside beyond my front porch.

Obviously, water should be available all the time, but it's even more important in high temperatures.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:54 pm

CF - the optimum temperature range for guinea pigs is 65-75 degrees. Temperatures higher then 80 degrees can be risky, as they are very susceptible to heat stroke. I think pigs can become gradually acclimated to higher and lower temperature ranges. As you correctly stated - sudden changes in temperature should definitely be avoided.

Interestingly, the USDA regulations concerning licensed breeders and dealers prohibit keeping guinea pigs outdoors, unless there are special circumstances and the individual makes an application for permission to do so. These regulations are not intended for pet guinea pig keepers, but I think our standards should be higher than the the bare minimum required of commercial breeders and dealers. I lost my bookmarks recently so I don't have the references for these standards at my fingertips, but I'll look for it when I have time. It makes interesting reading.

lisam

Post   » Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:16 pm

Well, Chuffey, you wanted to know, so where are you?

leebee

Post   » Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:05 am

Doesn't Chuffey live in Toronto? That's way too cold for a pig to be outside.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:42 pm

I've been reading these and I don't let my pig go any further that the 9 kitchen tiles when he's outside his cage. And yeah, I live in toronto, so it gets about -15 degrees celcius in average winter