Can piggys and hamsters play together?

Cinnamon1

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:36 am

We have a hamster and we just got a piggy, after the quarentine period is over can they play together outside of there cages?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:38 am

In my experience, no. I've seen hamsters attack guinea pigs. They do not play well together.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:43 am

Syrian hamsters are solitary creatures. Most often they can not be housed together without the risk of one injuring or killing the other. If they don't tolerate one of their own species, I can't imagine they'd do well with one of another species. They really don't need companionship - they are wired to be loners.

Cinnamon1

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:45 am

well what about if I put them both in there balls and let them roll around together that way they get used to each other because I have to keep both of them in my room because it is the only room in the house blocked off from my dog (he dosen't like anything smaller then him..) Imean they are not going to be living together in the same cage or anything..

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:49 am

No balls for the pigs! They're bad for their backs. Much better to just let them run loose on the floor. Besides - that hardly lets them get used to each other - all they see is another ball rolling at them.

Cindy in MI
Supporter in '05

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:58 am

They really don't need to get used to each other. What you are proposing is more for your benefit rather than the hamster's or guinea pig's benefit. They can be housed in separate cages in the same room without proper introduction or getting used to each other. They will probably be oblivious to each other for the most part. Your pig needs your attention or the companionship of another pig, not the attention of a hamster.

I have two Syrian hamsters. One is a baby and the other is an adult. I have one big cage and one standard sized hamster cage. Their cages sit side-by-side. Every day or every couple days, we switch them to the other's cage so neither are stuck with the small cage all the time. I am sure they are aware of another hamster having been there by the smell. They don't seem to be put out by the strange hamster smell but they don't seem to be aware of each other's presence sitting side-by-side, either. They are very territorial and do okay as long as there is not another hamster in the same cage with them.

Zalida

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:59 am

Absolutely NO. No, no, no!
That is wrong and dangerous!

You should keep guinea pigs only with other guinea pigs! Not with hamsters, not with rabbits, not with any other species!

And forget those balls, they can kill your guinea pig.

lisam

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:02 pm

Please read this: https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Your pig does not want a hamster for a companion. You pig wants another pig. But only if the cage is big enough, so read www.cavycages.com .

mech

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:35 pm

Besides, hamsters are nocturnal anyway. She'll be sleeping all day and up playing on her wheel all night.

-ly-

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:51 pm

I had a dwarf winter white hammie, puffnstuff (she passed away last night and I am heartbroken) who loved Chatty and CoCo and they loved her. They would play together every once in a great while under strict supervision. No one ever attacked each other. Puffy would climb on CoCo's back and sleep and give Chatty kisses. I wouldn't trust my other winter white to play with the pigs at all.

I am not advocating to let them play together because it could be dangerous. I don't know how syrians would get along with pigs. I can only describe my situation.

jaydee6561
Not a Fighter

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:26 am

I 'introduced' my syrian to Martin, neither were interested in the other.

mech

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:01 pm

I am sorry your baby passed away.

I used to have a large rat that I would let out at floor time with my guinea pig, Annie. They got along great! I think Annie kinda got on his nerves at times though. She followed him constantly and when he would stop to clean himself, she wanted to lick him too. He would push her away with his front feet and reclean where she licked. It really was just too cute.